Removed

I've had this strory before..

me: "have you got any brake pads for cantilever brakes?"

assistant: "cantilever brakes? is that a kind of disc brake?"

me: "no, they're rim brakes"

assistant: "erm... rim brakes? I don't think we do them, I'll have a look"

*few moments later a more distinguished (ie older) chap appears*

chap: "yes we have the Aztec pads in stock..."

I guess these days canti brakes are rarely seen in a LBS, even V-brakes are becoming scarcer, still, I'd like to think that someone who works in a bike shop would have a little more than just a basic knowledge of what the shop dealt with.

saw canti brakes, pads, and levers, and hangers and cables in Halfords today, as well as my LBS. Think you just found a bad shop

the irony is....

lots of newer bikes like, road bikes have cantis. side-pull stuff like dura ace etc...cyclocross type brakes and all. so, why this shop doesn't speak cantilever is plain wierd.

the overall problem is that the mechanic is not time-served, remember that concept? :LOL: this slow burn learning curve ensures a good wealth of knowledge and experience. it's a global prob now, so long as you have the paperwork or the business knows your dad then, your in. applicable to almost any industry btw.

be greatful for one thing.. you didn't ask for a stuck bb removal or 1" headset bearing race, this would have lead to a full on fist fight as you must have 'fabricated these components and drive train issues'. :D

Re: No wonder I don't use local bike shops

MD1":njob4jue said:
Mechanic doesn't even know what a cantilever brake is LOL
It's not even as if a bike mechanic has to learn a lot and types of brakes are the basics.

Tut...

Can you bleed obscure disc brakes that had the existing mechanics stumped? True a wheel correctly? Explain to a customer why their back wheel keeps eating spokes?

There are some things that only a trained bike mechanic will be able to help with.

legrandefromage":2w4xp2t2 said:
MD1":2w4xp2t2 said:
Mechanic doesn't even know what a cantilever brake is LOL
It's not even as if a bike mechanic has to learn a lot and types of brakes are the basics.

Tut...

Can you bleed obscure disc brakes that had the existing mechanics stumped? True a wheel correctly? Explain to a customer why their back wheel keeps eating spokes?

There are some things that only a trained bike mechanic will be able to help with.

Too true mate too true i know a fair few mechanics that couldn't tell you why the problems happen but can fit parts ok and really only 3 that can tell you why how to stop it in future and can work all area's of a bike including (obscure exotic brakes and shocks) they are Howard and Alex from street life and Danny smith from life cycles there the only 3 i know personally that can deal with all aspects of a cycle local to me and of the 3 id only trust 2 to work on my bike :shock:

I think im really lucky to know a really good mechanic,having used his services/experience for the last 15yrs.
Hes got cytech everything so i know no matter what i present him with needing fixed or fettled he'll do a spot on job.

On the downside there are a few LBS's in Glasgow that i would never use even if they were paying me

Mcmartins cycles-Mechanics[in the loosest sense of the word]seem to spend more time fannying about on their own stuff that sorting out for the customer
After they 'forgot' to order parts in for me for the 3rd time i thought-forget it :roll: Totally sick of it,so ill go elsewhere

well, I had a surprise.
phoned the lbs (a very well know and established for years in Milton Keynes, not chaineys)
me: hi, how much would you charge to cut a thread into a steerer 1 1/8th
shop: do what?
me: cut a thread into a threadless steerer, you know headset thread die?
shop: all we have is a clearing tap not something we could do but if we could it would be more than a ahead set (cheapest one 25 quid)
me: umm......ok thanks bye
what the f$ck! its a f#$king headset thread, they have been there for years way before ahead was thought of, how the f@k did they extend threads on forks back then?
its a basic bike shop tool even we had one, it self centered and cut a thread, nothing more.
I despair.

legrandefromage":3d8uwzjr said:
Explain to a customer why their back wheel keeps eating spokes?

Cheese, why does my back wheel keep eating spokes? I have a feeling it isn't the number of watts I'm pumping through it?

Iwasgoodonce":2j0v0r7l said:
legrandefromage":2j0v0r7l said:
Explain to a customer why their back wheel keeps eating spokes?

Cheese, why does my back wheel keep eating spokes? I have a feeling it isn't the number of watts I'm pumping through it?

Lots of cheap bikes use steel hubs and these literally cut into the spoke

On proper hubs, wrong spoke tension causes them to pop, or a badly straightened rim can put to much pressure on one spoke, constantly pulling it out.

Any more for any more?

Latest posts

Back