Recommendations for someone to restore my '87 Muddy Fox Explorer

sfsr

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
After many, many years of not actually managing to do anything with my MF explorer I'm finally admitting that I just don't have the time.

so can anyone recommend someone/company who could restore it?

There is almost 3 complete bikes (2 x 23" and 1 x 21.5") and a box of new bits I've bought over the years.

I'm aware the cost of restoration may well end up being higher than what its worth but hopefully some of the bikes/parts that are not needed could be sold off to offset the bill.

Interesting question.
I'm not sure if there are any commercial restoration services. I doubt many bike shops would want to take that kind of work on unless the owner had a personal interest.
I wonder if there would be the chance of a local forum member doing it, but there's a whole big can of worms ready to be opened if things went wrong.

Where are you based? A local forum member could at least assess what you have, select the optimal build from what is there, plus perhaps a secondary bike could be earmarked if there's enough to work with. Getting the bike/s assembled wouldn't be that hard to organise or expensive.

If the frame/s or some of the individual components need work then that's another matter, you might be better off looking for a nice example that's ready to ride and selling off your project bikes to cover some or all of the cost.

Last edited:
Ive popped you a pm....i might be able to help you....being retired.....but as said above, there are many issues to think of asking this type of thing!

Frankly, if want professional help, your going to need deep deep deep pockets....depending on state a "restoration" could be 8 hours to 50 hours.....at say £30 for a professional that's £240 to £1500....plus parts and other services (paint, chrome, polishing).....and thats with you supplying the bulk of the bike.

I probably clocked over 50 hours on my saracen conquest!

Thats probably why we never sell anything and have sheds full of bikes!😂

Its a labour of love.

Last edited:
I'm in Loughborough. I haven't seen a restored explorer 23" frame up for sale for awhile (perhaps i'm looking in the wrong places) and the 2 on ebay at the moment are no better than what i've got.
i'm hoping that with the amount of bits i've got there's enough spares to negate having to "repair" too much but i appreciate that might change as work starts.

Its also down to how far you want to go....if you want a bike back on the road that's one thing......concours if something else...

If you popped some pictures up and specified what it is you want doing, for example do you just want someone to assemble the bike, or will the frame need repainting and or fixing first? that sort of thing.

If you just need help putting the bike together then there are plenty on here that will talk you through it and help with any problems you encounter along the way, works out cheaper than paying someone to do it for you, is not hard and will help a lot in future if anything ever needs replacing.

I should have read the first line of the post :rolleyes: :)

Back