Recommend some cantilevers

Wait, we were talking levers here, right?

If not, sub in Tri-Align's. Or Stoplights from Paul.

Then empty that wallet.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The spring covers are plastic. But the original Boulder canti’s which the Onzas copied are all alum’ and better quality too (they don’t crack), but they’re quite rare.

Lots of boutique CNCd canti’s were made from the likes of Gravity Research, Machine Tech, Avid, Critical Racing, Joes, TNT, WTB, Crystal, Grafton etc, which used precision machined proprietary hardware. Not all were an improvement over Shimano though, performance wise!
My personal favourites are the Boulders, followed by Avid Tri Align, Paul Stoplights and Gravity Research Pipe Dreams.
The original version Campag Record OR take some beating though, they’re probably the most powerful canti’s I’ve ever used.
Thanks that’s very helpful!
I’ve had the record OR before and really liked them. Everything was well made. I also had modern Paul neo retro Abby loved them - I’m thinking either of these or the M900 or XCPro - but how does the build quality of the XC Pro compare ?

XC Pro aren’t as nicely finished as M900 and probably aren’t quite as well made. How they compare to the CNC options is more subjective. I love the crisp machined look which ‘implies’ precise manufacture, but can’t honestly say that all CNC brakes are better built than M900.
Both the Campy Record OR and all Paul’s brakes are beautifully made, with tight tolerances and lovely finish. A cut above Shimano and Suntour IMH (biased) O. They’ll be tough acts to beat

Last edited:
I have just gone back to basics and fitted old deore m650's. Have set the straddles low with moon units and fitted swissstop bxp pads in jagwire cross pro holders. Braking is bloody amazing and I can easily get the back wheel off the ground with 100kgs of me onboard, if i yank on the front brake, on tarmac.
Can be a trifle noisy if you aren't braking with attitude, though. That is with a little toe-in but maybe it will get quieter once bedded in. Anyway; i would thoroughly recommend even with the banshee wailing.

Had frogleggs previously and they can be set up to work well, but lack vertical adjustment so you can't get them to work on every frame. Maybe all cross frames are ok, but not all mtb frames. Pivot bushes wear quickly IME and ovalise so front brake starts knocking, when braking with a front wheel not spot on true. They are light weight and work in a wide range of straddle heights, but would not recommend for anything other than cross. Not a patch on the above though.

Forgot to say; these 650's are on a drop bar mtb and being used with modern sram brifters. I am very sure they would work as well, or even better, with the right choice of flat bar lever. Maybe shimano servo levers, or avids with the dials, to get the perfect feel and function.

Last edited:
Back