reccomend a lock

chally3

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all, well I've now got my new bike,

Can anyone recommend a decent bike lock & what to look for security wise, I've tried searching the web and the usual thousands of pages etc

any personall recommendations would be appreciated.

cheerz

I was looking at a Kryptonite New York chain lock, but the reccommendation from those in the know was an Abus Granit-X shackle lock. They happened to be £10 off in my LBS, so £55 for the long shackle version. Seriously meaty, and from what I've heard just seeing one on a bike is a deterrent to thieves.

abus all the way

been selling these for 8 years now and only had 2 back with faults..

if you insure your bike sepeartly the company will almost want it locked with and abus lock..

also come with key numbers so if you loose your key your can get another cut for about £6 form your local bike shop

Uuhm, I should know with over 20000 bikes stolen in my hometown each year :roll:

Tested best:

blauw901kopie.jpg

This is an extra heavy blue chain from Weissenfels. The links are made with steel 10mm in diameter. It weighs a ton, but it is on of very few that will do the job. I swear with this one.

About 90% of the locks are purely cosmetic, to give you the feel that your bike is save ...but in fact it isn't.

Actually only very few use the Weissenfels overhere, as it is often way more expensive than the bike! It is about 35-40 euros :roll:

...and why do most ride bikes that cheap?? Because people think it will got stolen! It has become a part of bike culture. With a wreck there is also no need to park your bike on a decent, time consuming manner. You simply throw it somewhere! Of course this is a feature not appreciated by everybody.

What also goes with it is that many wrecks don't have light. Dangerous! Tougher control and the cheap, portable LED lights improved a lot.

Personally I do use a conventional frame mounted lock, the Weissenfels ....and my bike is pink, what also should help A LOT :LOL:

deelam":of94itxc said:
After seeing this vid on Youtube I've come to the conclusion that there is no "good" lock anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uv45y6v ... ed&search=

Best they can do is deter.

My cannondale bad boy was nicked day one in central London with two u-locks on it Abus and a cheapy from halfords

Police told me a funny little reminder.

"Owning a bike in London is like being chased by a bear in the Rockies. It's not about if you can outrun the bear. What's more important is whether you can outrun the dude next to you."

Locks won't stop a thief, fact. But they might mean they nick someone else's instead.

Sad but true.

Back