Rear Mech's - Am I the only one...

As above. No need to go to the shop. Gears are fun. And once set up correctly the way to ride :D

I find that setting up a rear mech either goes spot on first time or you make a complete hash of it and it takes forever to do and you end up starting from scratch again. Front mechs I always find tricky, I can never remember which screw to turn to set up the end stops.

It does get easier once you find your own method, oh and a work stand reduces frustration by about a million times.

REKIBorter":3iy9dh4c said:
I find that setting up a rear mech either goes spot on first time or you make a complete hash of it and it takes forever to do and you end up starting from scratch again. Front mechs I always find tricky, I can never remember which screw to turn to set up the end stops.

It's the sort of thing you don't do very often if you're not in the trade (which I'm not). I still keep a front & rear mech in my toolbox. They are old and quite unbelievably cheap. Between them they ain't worth a fiver. Being cheap they are banged together and you can see the exactly what the travel adjustment screws do. Once you know what each screw does when you turn it in a certain direction, you've won the battle. Once the mech stops the chain in the right place, concetrate on the two smallest sprockets at the back using the barrel adjuster. One these index, the rest generally do as well.

Rear mechs are easy (once you've got your head around it), but front mechs are a PITA - getting the position of the clamp right can be so annoying. :evil:

Don't forget to lube up your cable inners, dry dirty cable completely ruins a rear mechs performance.. ;)

And as for front mechs.. just try setting one up on a modern full sus Orange... bloody swing arm :evil:

kaiser":2dlrxovl said:
It does get easier once you find your own method, oh and a work stand reduces frustration by about a million times.

I suspect a stand is going to be a purchase in the very near future, trying to do it last night with the bike swinging from the garage rafters just wasn't happening :LOL:

And to bring some closure on this one, thanks to all for the pointers and advice.

I dived straight into the garage when I got home from work, this time I actually knew what to do and it took all of 3 minutes to get the shifting back to being sweet as a nut!

Cheers

Paddy

Back