Rear Mech's - Am I the only one...

paddy01

Old School Hero
.. who can't set them up for toffee?

Got some lovely wheels recently and swapped the cassette etc. over this evening. There's a slight varience in the lining up of cassette / mech etc. compared to the old wheels requiring a little fettling to get the shifting back to as it was.

Big mistake. It's all over the bleeding place now, bugger :roll:

Still I managed to change a cassette for the first time ever and not break anything so I'll be thankful for small mercies and the local bike shop I'm sure will be happy for a few beer token in exchange for setting up for me :LOL:

Its easy peesee once you have set the stops up fella.. use the second smallest sprocket to adjust the tension.and set the indexing.. easy .... dont pay someone to do it for ya fella, part of the retrobike experience ;)

I'll give it another go when I've read up on it (and calmed down :oops: )..

Bearing in mind that with my mechanical abilities, changing a cassette without losing a limb is a major achievement :LOL:

Taking Scant's advice I've just read the Sheldon Brown article, so I now know what each adjuster does.

Run out of twiddling time tonight but efforts will be doubled tomorrow :)

I've said this b4.
Once you get to grips with the barrel adjusters you are halfway there imo. Get them wound right in, get the wire tight, set the stops and then twiddle the barrels til you're indexing correctly.
Save your money for more retrobikes and bits.

Top-pull front mechs annoy me; Bottom pull easy, the turn under the BB helps get tension in the cable. Top-pull, i end up fiddling with the damn things for about three rides then changing the cable :roll:

Back