Rear hubs compatible with 24 spoke and 12x135 axles

paddo

Dirt Disciple
Hey everyone... Im trying to find a compatible wheel or rebuild an existing one for a 12x135 maxle rear wheel frame..
The wheels I have are unfortunately the slightly older gen of the mavic crossmax st before they made the axles swappable from qr to 12mm.. I know the hope pro 2 hubs are 12x135 but the prices lads are looking for them second hand on ebay is outrageous..Also even then im not sure if you could lace 24 spokes on them, Are there any cheaper options floating about either past or present, like a shimano hub that can be laced for 24 spokes.. The reason I want to keep the 24s is because the front wheel works as is with my fork, and these wheels are a matching pair.. I hate the look of mismatched spokes, 24 is a small number, a set of 32s on the back would look terrible..

Cheers

Id like to keep the rim and tyre setup but change the hub so its compatable with the maxle 135x12mm setup on the frame..This is all I could find that might be suitable to replace the mavic rear hub with.. The mavic is 24h so not many hubs at all compatible, the only downside is I cant find any hubs that are 135x12 with the exception of the hope pro 2s which arent 24h anyways.. So would it be possible to get the novatec one and file off a few mm to get down to 135 because there all 142mm in 12mm axles.. Apparently there was some 132mm ones but I cant find them at all..

12x135 is rare.

A 12x142 hub  may work as from what I've read, the extra 3.5mm either side was usually a recess in the frame to line the wheel up which 12x135 didn't have. Thus, you may be able to have 3.5mm shaved off the end caps. This is purely from what I've read & I cannot verify if this will work. A Novatech 12x142 hub is cheap enough so perhaps it could be worth ordering one and then measuring it up/experimenting to see if it will work before going to the expense of having it built into a wheel? You may be able to use a 28h hub (if this is easier to find) and miss a couple of holes either side for a 24h rim build.

You may have to try to put aesthetics aside and get whatever works or bite the bullet and have a matching pair of wheels built.

Good luck!

Bitex hubs come in that configuration. I run BX106 hubs on my road, gravel and mountain bikes. Take a look at www.bitexhubs.co.uk - they can configure hubs to most drillings, axle permutations and colours.

Did the Hope Pro3 come in a 12x135 - cos there’s certainly a 24hole rear version.

I forgot to mention the spokes are straight pull, which also narrows the selection..
I think this is what I need.. realistically all I can find that might be a straight swap.. Its 12x142 but there is another listing that seems to have 135 axles for this hub linked also below..

Try the Hope Pro3 SP
I’d use new spokes.

- unless the hubs are precisely the same dimensions - the old spokes won’t be reusable.

- and aren’t the Mavic spokes different to the usual spokes - so wouldn’t fit even if they were the right length.

Or just buy another Mavic hub

Latest posts

Back