Rear derailleur for '88 Marin Pallisades

vspike

Dirt Disciple
Hi!

My rear derailleur decided to eat a stick on a ride at the weekend, and a lug on a cast piece of it has broken off, so it's a goner.

Is anyone able to advise on a suitable replacement? I realise that I need to pick one to match the number of speeds (although 6 speed seems rare ... 6/7 seems to be the closest).

Beyond that, I'm not sure if there are different kinds of mounting or different types that I need to be aware of.

Would something like http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rd-tx35 ... erailleur/ be suitable, for example? Is it worth spending more than that?

While I'm ordering, I need some new brake pads as it's still on the originals. They're not overly worn, but they seem to have gone a bit hard and they don't stop very well. Again, any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

John

Hi John, the guys on here are incredibly helpful, pose a question in the for sale section, original in my opinion(or period correct) look better, there are also compatibility issues that can crop up as well, you will find the derailleur you need on here or eBay. Avoid the derailleur you have linked, they are ok but will not mesh well with older set ups, I found this out first hand while working in a bike shop.

Pads that are hard are in my opinion dangerous, I would suggest something like Kool Stop Eagle claw ll's, I like the coloured pads (the yellows should merge well colour wise) as they are a slightly softer compound than the black and do a lot for any breaking system

You are in great company here, dive in and learn a bunch.

Paul

Just ask on here for the same mech. Plenty available.

Any shimano slant parallelogram rear mech from around 1987 to around 2009 designed to run 6/7/8/9 speed will work with your marin. The cable pull, reach and other gubbins stayed the same until 10spd came along and buggered it all up.

Re:

Thanks for the advice! Is it best just to post a wanted message in the "MTB Wanted" forum?

I think your rear mech would be an Exage Trail - plenty around although an MT60 'Deore' mech would be better - if you want to stay within a couple of years of your bike.

MTB for sale, list the 2 choices above and a price , fair to you and seller, people if they have them may reply to the thread and then PM(Private message) you or they may just PM you, and it goes from there, PayPal seems to be the norm for trading on here.
£15 - £20 should be a good guide, and there should be a few guys on here that will help.

If you are in need of lube a 1 litre of the oil listed below, costs as much as a very small bottle of bicycle stuff, it is thin enough to penetrate yet not wash away, because of its thinness( not too thin) it gets right down into the pivot points, and it does not attract as much crud as other type of oil.

I use this but in the 5wt after a lot of research and have used it for 3 years or so, I use the 5wt for all pivot points and chain and it is the best single product for unsticking shifters that won't shift.

http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/produ ... -10wt.html

Back