Real or fake Shimano chain?

No, cost has gone up because the price of the steel and the labour and the energy required to convert those raw materials into a viable product has gone up.

Don’t let that interfere with your conspiracy theories though.
How does that make 11 speed more expensive than 9 speed

No, cost has gone up because the price of the steel and the labour and the energy required to convert those raw materials into a viable product has gone up.

Don’t let that interfere with your conspiracy theories though.
Yer ok, fair point and I'll agree with you on that. Still think there's a supply and demand argument in there though. No idea why a 11 should cost so much more than a 9 though.

Yer ok, fair point and I'll agree with you on that. Still think there's a supply and demand argument in there though. No idea why a 11 should cost so much more than a 9 though.
None of us do in any great detail. The cost of tooling will play a part but without knowing the cost of tooling per unit produced for both 9 and 11 speed, and knowing the profit per unit on both 9 and 11 speed, none of us know whether the cost of tooling completely or only partially accounts for the difference in price. If it's only partial, then your point about supply and demand probably explains at least some of the remaining price difference, provided that there's higher demand for 11 speed relative to supply than there is for 9 speed relative to supply. Other factors will, no doubt, play a part too.

Prices seemed to shoot up before COVID and have got higher since imho. Drivetrains have in theory got simpler, less chain rings for starters, but a single ring crank is more expensive than it's 3x or even 2x equivalent. Cassettes even more so, so by association the chains have to follow suit or they will be perceived inferior.

On the topic of the chain I bought, I'm thinking fake, the quick link just says 11sp, no Shimano branding, no pink slip either. The rest is pretty much an exact copy of any images I've seen online from reputable sellers/stores rather then ebay. I might use my chain wear checker for the first time and see how it is out of the box.

The pic lgf posted is of a different model so not directly comparable.

I did notice when comparing the Shimano logo on the box with a genuine BB one I have, the text is a little thinner.

I didn't pay a lot, I was expecting it to be a fake. If the wear indicator says it's good, would you use the chain?

I'd use it. But I'd be checking it every week.

Tooling changes are minimal, the plates aren't different (except the letter stamping which is cheap), the bearings are thinner but they are cut so its adjustment rather than new tooling. So the only tooling change is the pin dies for pushing the whole lot together and I'd be wouldn't surprised if they aren't adjustable rather than fixed too.

Some of the cost will be r&d, given that until 9 speed little changed in the drive train but 10 on up required some big (in the world of drive chains, to us its nothing) redesign. I'd also expect that some of it spread from other component design where they couldn't lump it all on one part.

There is still a supply and demand argument in there for some of it. I'd also add that cycling in all Western and a lot of Eastern countries is now a leisure industry and that comes with an ability for a company to increase prices to meet what someone will pay rather than what someone has to pay.

Lennard’s answer to Barb here gives an indicator of some of the differences and reasons why modern chains might cost more. It’s also a good explanation of how chains work, for those that might not fully understand.

Anyway, use the fake chain, what’s the worse that can happen?

Prices seemed to shoot up before COVID and have got higher since imho. Drivetrains have in theory got simpler, less chain rings for starters, but a single ring crank is more expensive than it's 3x or even 2x equivalent. Cassettes even more so, so by association the chains have to follow suit or they will be perceived inferior.

On the topic of the chain I bought, I'm thinking fake, the quick link just says 11sp, no Shimano branding, no pink slip either. The rest is pretty much an exact copy of any images I've seen online from reputable sellers/stores rather then ebay. I might use my chain wear checker for the first time and see how it is out of the box.

The pic lgf posted is of a different model so not directly comparable.

I did notice when comparing the Shimano logo on the box with a genuine BB one I have, the text is a little thinner.

I didn't pay a lot, I was expecting it to be a fake. If the wear indicator says it's good, would you use the chain?
I'd use it

Latest posts

Back