Re Spokeing a wheel, can you help

sdeals.com sell ACI double-butted spokes for 26p including nipples - about the cheapest I've found and fine for general use.

If you've got the rims and hubs then spokes can be found easily and at good prices on the net. lace them yourself, take the initial slack out of the spokes, then take them to a good LBS for the final trueing. Should cost a fair bit less than having them do all the work, and it's not hard.

I've had spokes from angpatten on ebay. £9 for 36 inc post. He's very helpful and willing to mix sizes if you need to. Here's a link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36-STAINLESS- ... 84b6def576

I have Roger Mussons book. Not sure if you can still buy it in print but you can download the latest version from his website for £9. Another link: http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

Have a go, like someone else said it's very satisfying and when you've done one the next one will take half the time and you will soon want to build more. A jig is very useful and though it might seem expensive to start with it will pay for itself. I've had mine 28 years or so now and may have only done 15 or 16 wheels in that time but consider it to have been a very good investment and I could probably sell it now for more than I paid for it.

By the way, the first wheel I ever built was with a 32 spoke Dyno Hub!! Probably one of the most complex wheels to start with. It ran perfectly without any adjustment at all until last summer when a spoke snapped. Not bad for a wheel built nearly 30 years ago.

Cheers,
Ian.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
CRC are good for Dt Swiss spokes and are cheapest around

If you want it built i offer half price labour for Retrobikers so it would cost £12.50 per wheel instead of £25 iv'e been building wheels for a long time and last year sponsored torq fitness for all there wheel builds i dont take the p155 with my pricing its a skilled job but doesn't warrant a stupid high price pm me if your intrested ;)

cannondale king":vdlwiarz said:
CRC are good for Dt Swiss spokes and are cheapest around

If you want it built i offer half price labour for Retrobikers so it would cost £12.50 per wheel instead of £25 iv'e been building wheels for a long time and last year sponsored torq fitness for all there wheel builds i dont take the p155 with my pricing its a skilled job but doesn't warrant a stupid high price pm me if your intrested ;)

Thats a very kind offer, but i reckon that if i factor in the postage to and from you, i guess i wouldn't end up saving very much.

Dave

Back