rBoTM RBotM JULY 2024 - Open Month - Enter Now

road Bike of The Month
Status
Not open for further replies.
How’s that handle downhill & into hairpin type bends as bet you can’t go fast 🤔
It's not too bad .you can get one hell of a lean out on it around corners with the mixter frame . The front end is light but control able so it is great for going around corners on two wheels. .But I can't get it to slide around corners in the wet , which is the quickest way for a Trike . Overall I would have no problem doing a 100 k Audax on it .

'87 Nishiki Linear that I purchased from a friend who could not ride it due to a bad back. I can still hunker down and get it rolling. I bought as is except swapped out the 55t ring for the 53t I got in the deal. No climbing gears on this one so perfect for the area I live in. Sorry for poor aesthetics, I do not sightsee on this bike.
20240724_171639_HDR~2.jpg 20240724_172125~2.jpg

Pwebb's Lee Cooper built Sirius 853, build thread here: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/grail-853-restoration-and-build-thread.474653/

This was originally yellow ( when I dismantled it it had the original writing from the frame builder indicating frame 8148 and colour lemon yellow inside the steerer tube) and had a lightly used Athena groupset and atlanta rims. I had the frame professionally powder coated in candy purple and sourced a NOS Veloce 10 speed groupset. The frame tubes are 853 and the forks Reynolds 708 the seat stays are some of the thinnest I have ever seen and the tyre clearance at the fork crown is minimal, just enough for 700Cx23 tyres. I think its a keeper.

DSC06555_cr.jpg
DSC06557_cr.jpg

@pwebb Great looking bike! Loved your build thread. What is the rear cluster tooth count per cog. Front looks 50/34? (Bad eyes, cannot make out ring stamp). It looks like great gearing for an old guy like myself who needs some help climbing the steep hills. I still have an NOS Veloce triple I need to use, but still undecided on a cassette.

@pwebb Great looking bike! Loved your build thread. What is the rear cluster tooth count per cog. Front looks 50/34? (Bad eyes, cannot make out ring stamp). It looks like great gearing for an old guy like myself who needs some help climbing the steep hills. I still have an NOS Veloce triple I need to use, but still undecided on a cassette.
Hi there this Campy Veloce chain set is 48-34 and the rear cluster is 13-29 10speed. So you are correct that it offers a little gentler gearing, but no granny gears for touring. Still fast road oriented I would say and I wouldn't take it into the peak district for instance. The last 3 sprockets are 23, 26, 29, though those are easily swapped for something bigger in each case as all of them are individual rings. I share the sentiment for less racy gearing as I have nothing to prove at my age :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back