Rattle can respray

I know the advice is to always lacquer over decals, but has anyone not done so, and got away with them not peeling/coming off? Lacquer seems the hardest thing to stop running/stippling when doing it yourself.
Mine aren't clear coated.
Assuming 10 year vinyl applied correctly they should do a good few years without. I might cleat just the decals to be honest.

I know the advice is to always lacquer over decals, but has anyone not done so, and got away with them not peeling/coming off? Lacquer seems the hardest thing to stop running/stippling when doing it yourself.
The decals on these bikes are not painted over because I had them powder coated and was too cheap to buy the appropriate foils.
So far, the decals have held up wonderfully. On the Gravelbike for 2 years, on the folding bike for 8 years now.
IMG_20211214_152302~2_1.jpg IMG_20211215_131205.jpg DSC_0092~2.JPG
The foil used is Oracal 751C and Aslan holographic SE72.

The decals on these bikes are not painted over because I had them powder coated and was too cheap to buy the appropriate foils.
So far, the decals have held up wonderfully. On the Gravelbike for 2 years, on the folding bike for 8 years now.
View attachment 748387View attachment 748386View attachment 748385
The foil used is Oracal 751C and Aslan holographic SE72.
The gravel bike is awesome, what did it start out as? Kay you have got to get to the UK or we will have to get to Germany :)

never have, never would.

Unfortunately, there are not many pictures left. I painted the Fully with a brush in 2011.
The comic bike was a project for my girlfriend. It was mainly about finding out if and how I could do it. I am quite happy with it. But now I would build the bike differently.
View attachment 748382
View attachment 748377
View attachment 748379View attachment 748380View attachment 748376View attachment 748381
The Drahtesel is the latest bike. There is also a build-up thread here.
How do you achieve the comic effect?

Last edited:
Back