Rattle Can Paint

Rfriend1975

Dirt Disciple
Morning all

My bike is in needs some small areas of paint touching up. I think it can be a rattle can job rather than professional spray job.

Can anyone recommend a rattle can paint supplier please?

It's for my Dave Yates viewtopic.php?f=6&t=412925

Many thanks!

Re:

If you know the colour code and automotive paint supplier can mix you a can. They may even match it for you depends how helpful they are. I'm not sure how bike manufacturers pick colours but they may just use the standard RAL colours.

Thanks for the replies.

I have emailed DY. Let's see what he says.

The paint has a little 'sparkle' in it so may not be a standard RAL colour. But I will be choosing the closest RAL if I have to.

The areas of touch up aren't particularly visible but I'd like to get it as good as possible.

Re:

Used some Wilko Hammerlite to do a stem this WE. Aweful aweful stuff and £13 too. Now have to strip it, prep and start again with auto paint. I was just trying to avoid a hike miles to Halfords, a long SD - Q, etc and getting some. :facepalm:

Tried using various paints in the past for other projects and to be perfectly honest the best paint I found for doing most jobs is a manufacturer paint from a car dealer. It tends to be much much better quality than the rattle can you get from Halfords. After a couple of tried with their paint matching service for Nissans Sapphire Blue and Mitsubishi's Queens Silver, I wont use them again as both times the colours were nowhere near the car colour even accounting for fade over time.

So Dave Yates came back to me. They didn’t do codes in those days so it is fluorescent orange. Hmm

I’ve looked at the RAL codes and made a decision - RAL 2003 for those interested.

I shall give it a good test spray when it arrives. As I said before it’s only for a few small areas so hopefully it will blend in nicely.

When painting fluorescent colours it is necessary to paint on top of a white white base coat to get correct colour as other colours tend to show through.

Back