Rash De Kerf e-bay purchase?

Hi Anthony - yes that would have been enough, I went in at £279.

I'm in Haywards Heath, but also have a place in Brunswick Square which I guess isn't too far from you?

Although we like to tell ourselves that retro biking is ever more popular, it must tell some kind of a story if the only three people in the whole world willing to pay more than £250 for a well-equipped 1994 de Kerf are all on this site.

But maybe it tells us something about de Kerf as well. I still rate him very highly and I'd have been very intrigued to own a de Kerf, even if just as a trial (the bike was a size too big for me really). But he seems to be struggling commercially. The website says he announced he was closing down in Sept 2006, then went back on it in 2007, but it doesn't list any dealers so presumably he mainly sells direct. He certainly isn't cheap - a basic frame is $CAD1,750 = £950 plus $80 for V-bosses as well as disc-tabs, $300 for custom geometry, $475 for sliding dropouts etc. (compare Rody's price of $1,200 for a custom build).

But the reality is that a complete bike with Pace/XT kit went for £270. I don't really get it I must admit.

Actually, Chris Dekerf had to hire a guy:

"04/02/2008 - New Staff Announcement
Effective today - February 4, 2008, Michael Golinski (former co-owner of Spot Brand) has joined Dekerf Cycles to handle the sales and marketing, giving Chris Dekerf more time to focus on building frames.
More details to follow and check back for more news to be added!"

They are currently looking for input with regards to what kind of swag people would like to see. Dekerf is dealing as a direct-to-customer builder now. The dealers through whom he used to sell weren't really putting out much effort selling the bikes, and thus not adding any value to the product.

Also, the Canadian dollar has been much much stronger in the last year or so, Canada having a commodity driven economy. That will hurt the buying power of someone outside of the country. ('Bout bloody time for our Canuck buck to be worth something... :? )

DeKerf

Thats pocket money really for a complete bike with a £1000 frame! I agree on the Forks though, a set of the Pace short travel Airforce shocks would be much better.

It is cheap, if in OK condition.

Pics are poor, description poor, and the frame has been refurbed. Have to ask why, may be OK, may have been rusty as hell. Hence why its cheap. But that also makes it fun for when it arrives :D

Back