Raleigh Team Pro - SB1988 - final instalment now added

Re: Raleigh Team Pro - SB1988

The chain Rings are decidedly Sugino SR if I'm not mistaken ?

Nob":penf6238 said:

Correct, do you like them? I like the drillium effect but only if done well and I'm thinking of using them as a drilling guide for some Campag rings. The theme of holes for lightness is picked up in the brake levers and the four hole front mech.

Thanks, Mapturner. Are there many SB Raleighs in NZ?

Sugino chainrings had equal sized holes all over the chainring IIRC

Sakae Ringyo chainrings for the Royal had alternate big / small holes plus a cutout at the area above the chainring bolt ......Sakae Ringyo chainrings for the Apex had alternate big /small hole but no cutout above the chainring bolt.

There again I was much younger :D

Shaun

Re:

Hello - to answer the question about there being many SB Raleighs in NZ - i haven't seen any others but i have heard there are some out there ... I have seen very few retrobikes here at all really - its mainly all the new stuff.. Unless i am riding in the wrong places.. Although some Raleighs do turn up on trade me which is the equivalent of Ebay here and at the moment there is a LOOK Hinault kg76 and a colnago master on there from the 80's / 90's ..

Late again with the homework. Slow progress due to things like going on holiday and tracking down the last sundry parts. But the various bits I have sourced so far are in such good condition that with the way the frame has turned our so beautifully I'm not sure I'll want to ride it (sorry)!

So, what has changed? Bar tape is on - but may need to come off again as I've decided I want yellow Benotto. Cables are now trimmed. I now have a Nuovo Record BB with 2 axles in both lengths so I can match to either age of Campagnolo crank. Cranks sourced cheaply on eBay and covered in poo (or something similar) turned out after cleaning to be immaculate Super Record with an unused 52 gear but no inner wheel so I'm searching for that now.

Only when the bike is otherwise finished will the head badge go on.

Now off to see if I can track down a Campag 42t 144 BCD ring.

PS. I promise I will ride it, occasionally. First proper outing will be the Chiltern Festival in July - with the SR 42t ring if necessary.

glpinxit":23e37uo3 said:
Nob":23e37uo3 said:

Correct, do you like them? I like the drillium effect but only if done well and I'm thinking of using them as a drilling guide for some Campag rings. The theme of holes for lightness is picked up in the brake levers and the four hole front mech.

Thanks, Mapturner. Are there many SB Raleighs in NZ?

My MP project bike had a 54 ring Similar pattern but I drilled them all out bigger & liked the end result when they are the same diameter as below

Re: Raleigh Team Pro - SB1988 - now finished

Well, finally I've finished building the bike. It has taken a while but now I have finished the build I'm a very happy bunny indeed! The bike rides beautifully and looks fantastic and everything works as it should. What could be better just in time for summer?

Looking back I find it hard to believe that it has been nearly six months. Or that my original plan changed so much. The two are related though. Originally I wanted to build a top drawer classic racing bike that I could still ride regularly and enjoy without worrying that I would spoil it or wear it out. This meant not too perfect. But as the build progressed things started to come together differently. First off the frame turned out to be in near perfect condition with no rust or damage -just the wrong paint. Then the eBay lottery started to serve up the right bits at sensible prices in near new condition. (So they are out there if you are patient.) So I gradually decided to use the right Campagnolo parts, which meant mostly Super Record and it has taken a little longer to find the last elusive bits to finish.

The last job was to put the head badge on. I lightly buffed it to give it a lift without turning it gold.The rivets needed to be a little shorter but all is now sorted.

Now I just need more reasons to ride -one will be the Chiltern Cycling Festival on 13 July.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 339
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 340
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 341
Specification as follows...
Frame: Raleigh SBDU Reynolds 753 frame no SB1988 in Team Pro colours (1977)

Fork: Raleigh - built at SBDU by Sam Hudson

Headset: Campagnolo Nuovo Record -steel
Stem: Cinelli 1A -110 mm
Handlebar: Cinelli 65 Criterium - 40cm

Brake Levers: Campagnolo Super Record
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo Super Record
Brake Pads: Campagnolo
Brake Cables: Campagnolo
Brake cable clips: Campagnolo

Shifters: Campagnolo Super Record (band on)
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record -4 hole
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record Mk2
Derailleur Cables: Campagnolo
Cassette: Regina Extra
Chain: KMC 12 - 24
Cranks: Campagnolo Super Record
Chainrings: Campagnolo Super Record - 42/52
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Nuovo Record
Pedals: Campagnolo Gran Sport

Rims: Mavic Module 2
Hubs: Campagnolo Nuovo Tipo
Hub Skewers: Campagnolo
Tyres: Michelin

Saddle: Brooks Professional
Seatpost: Campagnolo Centaur (for its length)

Bottle Cage: Elite
Extras: Christophe toeclips and straps

Weight: 22lb (10 kg)

Back