Raleigh Team Pro - SB1988 - final instalment now added

I painted it with Halfords rattle-cans with a few coats of clear lacquer over the decals from H Lloyd http://www.hlloydcycles.com . Colours I chose are Ford Radiant Red and Rover Inca Yellow (and black) and I would be happy to use those again.
I also found it useful to change the spray can nozzles to ones with a narrower spray pattern. I found these in a big art supplies retailer. They mean mure paint on the frame and less drifting about everywhere else - the standard paint fan is fine for a car wing but not frame tubes!

What's a 'brifter' ??

Brake cables need a little shortening at the levers then the cables to the front of the bars out the way.

What hoods are they ? There was a seller on ebay selling gum campag hoods for just £23, sold out now though.

Get some white spirit and gently rub at the modern Michelin tyre words, jobs a good un'

Ian.

Thanks Ian. "Brifters" is a terrible word and if I'd spotted it in the specification template list I would have deleted it (stand by for an edit to the post).

I'm still undecided on cables behind or in front of the bars. They look better in front but interfere with my hands there, which they don't behind. Length is shorter in practise than it seems in photos from some angles but if I have the cables out to relocate them I may have half an inch or so off the casing.

The hoods are Diacomp. Perfect fit and, comfortable and very reasonably priced (under £10 from some eBay sellers). I have both black and "brown" but the latter are totally wrong being a sort opaque mid-brown Morris Marina sort of colour.

I'm down for the Chiltern Festival on Sunday but the weather isn't auspicious so it is currently in the balance (with TdF live on TV as an incentive).

Keep the cables behind the bars. That is exactly where they should be. Cable length is personal preference.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 787
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 787
Update time, in a manner of speaking.
I never got to the Chiltern festival because of rain. Pathetic, I agree, but the last time I rode a rebuild on a long wet ride it made me very miserable and I vowed not to do it again.
I've discovered Strava, in the mean time. Annoyingly some of my fastest segmented are still on this bike. But I am undecided if that is because the mid-ride cake stop took 30 minutes longer then usual. This was due to the number of other cyclists wanting to talk about the bike, be photographed with it or just pick it up. Overall this all meant I was well rested when my ride resumed!
The bike is now semi dismantled in the loft while we have an extension built. This will include a workshop which means more bikes (I'd like a modern TTbike) and scope to do more bike builds and related stuff.
Basically, I'm still delighted with the bike.

Nice. Just read the whole thread. I found my SBDU SB7336 down our local tip. Mine was a late build. It ended up with lots of later campagnolo. Wish I'd taken as much time over it as yours

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=50472&hilit=tip

raleigh_sbu_920.jpg

Back