Raleigh Team Pro - SB1988 - final instalment now added

Re: Raleigh Team Pro - SB1988

Martin Pyne during his 1981 25 mile championship winning ride.

Thanks, just read Nob's post about his Martin Pyne bike - fantastic. But so much effort to get the front low only to use upswept bars! I suppose aero insight is still developing.

Here is the stripped frame, without the winter guards and flat bars it looks much more serious.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 509

And here are dull pics of the weigh in of the frame and forks. Subtract 16 g for the seatpost binder bolt.
The forks should be stamped with the frame number but have "SH" instead. The crown points show they are definitely the right SBDU forks so I'd be interested to know what SH signifies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 508
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 508

glpinxit":11wsp93c said:
And here are dull pics of the weigh in of the frame and forks. Subtract 16 g for the seatpost binder bolt.
The forks should be stamped with the frame number but have "SH" instead. The crown points show they are definitely the right SBDU forks so I'd be interested to know what SH signifies.

Could be wrong but I believe Sam Hudson built forks at Ilkeston.

Mr Shinkicker, that looks like a potential bullseye, well done. I wonder why my forks get to be Sam's instead of SB1988.
"Sam Hudson, an Ilkeston resident with an engineering background, knew about the unit, applied to work there and was taken on to learn the craft of building forks from Peter Cox."
http://www.cyclingworldmag.com/bicycles-of-fire/

I so wish the Internet had been invented in the days when I had the time to read every book I could get my hands on.

This week's update...

First, the forks. I asked my "SH" question on the Yahoo Team Pro Raleigh forum and elicited the following reply:- 'I have just spoke to Sam Hudson and he told me that when he first started making forks at the Ilkeston factory he did stamp some forks with SH so as not to get mixed up with Peter Cox if the was a problem.' Isn't the Internet a wonderful place, sometimes.

The Ron Cooper script was masked out yellow under the red so it couldn't be easily removed. So after a fine sanding with 400 grade, this week has seen a few light coats of red plus a bit of heavier black and yellow. Then colour sanding with 2000 grit and stickers from Lloyd's.

Clear lacquer next week, or the week after.

(It looks pink in this pic, but isn't. Bad light so poor quality too, I'm afraid.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 453

Looking good!

If I was you, I'd get a seat pin in ASAP and clamp your frame into the workstand via the seat pin. 753 is incredibly easy to get dinted if even the smallest thing goes wrong with the clamp.

With a boring weekend of clear lacquer to look forward to I've been raiding the shed. A few choices to make and remember that my aim is stuff I like before strictly the right age. I'll probably go with the four hole front mech and the (factory) drilled levers. And the chainset is my favourite despite being least appropriate.

Still need to find some minor stuff - chain - maybe gold; bar tape - yellow perhaps; black Christophe toestraps and black cables (whose though) and somebody's black and tan tyres.

Oh, and when assembly begins I'll hang it from a seatpost...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 431

not going with a Campag SR Chainset then?

Nob, the bike will mostly be expected to come out infrequently and sparkle in the sun. I can quickly change the cranks in the event I want to do any serious riding. (Other bikes will fill the role of seeing rain, roads, traffic and the occasional ditch on a weekly basis.)

Latest posts

Back