Raleigh summit

I have a almost-identical Summit- was the lightest bike I owned until I got my Clockwork. Not really "mid-range", it was an expensive bike bitd, top of the off-road series. Apart from the Rock Shox and dx/lx bits it had a better rear triangle than the other off-road models.. Where the "titanium" comes in, not so sure..

Re:

It's not ti in any way. Reynolds k2. I thought mid range was fair considering they had 531 off road bikes and the dynatech bonded frames around that time. Lx gear was the 3rd best groupset at the time. Certainly not worth £500, I doubt it was more than £400 new, certainly not a rare beast to warrant a premium imho.

Agreed, but if someone wants mine, £500 would be very nice! Raleigh were in decline in the early 90's, and didn't make many 531 variants then anyway. Summit had dx shifters and brakes, lx cranks and mechs. Stupid penny pinching. Like British motorcycle and car industries, Raleigh were a right mess. Very sad indeed. I'm a big fan of Reynolds, but the K2 tubeset was about 3 years too late. 501 frames were ok though, I have 3- I have replaced the forks on all of them though, they were bloomin awful- way too heavy, possibly good on a fully loaded touring tandem though.. Have had many 531 frames of different eras. Oldies are maybe a tad weak in the downtube dept., later ones fab.
As for the "titanium" bit, the cro-moly stem on the Summiit is titanium coloured!! Wowee!!

Re:

That's a 93 model right? From memory the 92 (or 91?) had the same frame but better kit including the original Rockshox RS1's. That one was quite expensive iirc.

Not sure about the price but if someone wants one then it does look in good condition. I do like how the older Raleighs rode though, not the lightest but the geo and feel were great and you soon forgot about the weight :cool:

You're right, Raleighs are sturdy but very nice to ride. My first mountain bike was a Mirage, still got it 30 years and 10k+ miles later.. Has "Bi-Plane" forks from an early Stumpjumper, and chainstay back brake to match!
My Summit has the "Finite Response" forks, btw- fitted from new- I haven't seen another.. £500, anyone?

Re:

brocklanders023":197xmlrj said:
That's a 93 model right? From memory the 92 (or 91?) had the same frame but better kit including the original Rockshox RS1's. That one was quite expensive iirc.

Yep, that's a '93 all right, these had the redesigned seat stay/seat tube joints, as the earlier ones (with the 'Raleigh' motif) were prone to failing there. I don't recall these being a near £1000 bike though...

Back