Raleigh SBDU Build

originalshinkicker

rBotM Winner
I've just realised that I've had this frame for a year so I guess it is time to get my backside into gear and build it. Hopefully, time permitting, it will be up and running soon.

I've got a Shimano 600EX groupset, mainly 6207 6sp SIS which keeps the parts at the same period of time as the frame.

Raleigh Ilkeston 58cm Reynolds 531 Professional tubing dating to approx 1984/85

Shimano 6207 - Bottom Bracket, Headset, Brake Calipers, Non Aero Brake Levers, Chainset, Front/Rear Mech, 6sp SIS 600 Levers

Shimano 6400 - 6sp UG Hubs, Pedals

Cinelli 1A Stem
Cinelli 65-44 Criterium Bars
Ambrosio White Bar Tape
Mavic MA40 Rims
Campagnolo Record Seatpin 27.2
Turbo Saddle

Attachments

• SBDU SB7219 531 Pro Rear Stays.jpg
    SBDU SB7219 531 Pro Rear Stays.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,484
Nob":i1rtfbht said:
looks very nice apart from what looks like a rusty fork crown

Yep, chrome has gone on the fork crown sadly. Plan is to ride through the summer as is and then renovate during the cold wet months.

Finally got some time to upload some pics as the bike is finished.

As far as I know, the paint finish and chrome are original - chipped paint and damaged chrome on the fork crown (but it is 30 years old). I've fitted a new 600EX headset, new cables, new brake levers, new bar tape, new bearings, new 6sp uniglide freehub body and new chain. All other parts are used Shimano 600EX ranging from 6207 through to 6400.

Mavic MA40 rims, Cinelli bars and stem, Record 2 bolt seatpin and a nice "Bernard Hinault" Turbo saddle. Currently looking for some nice tyres to finish it off.

I started a blog a few years ago when I got my 753 Team Pro so I've added this build to that blog - if you are interested, you can see more pics there.

http://raleigh-sb4059.com/2014/04/30/sb ... -complete/

Attachments

• Raleigh Ilkeston SBDU 531 Professional Complete Bike.jpg
    Raleigh Ilkeston SBDU 531 Professional Complete Bike.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 1,276
  • Raleigh Ilkeston SBDU 531 Professional Built.jpg
    Raleigh Ilkeston SBDU 531 Professional Built.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 1,276
This bike isn’t pristine, perfect, immaculate or a wall hanger, it is used, the parts are used, but for a 30 year old bike, it is looking good and ready to ride again.

Credit where it's due, originalshinkicker: that is understated class.

Fine blog, too, and recommended reading.

Back