Raleigh Randonneur 708 1997

Hi Doctor Bond, thanks for really helpful piece on the Raleigh Randonneur and love what you've done with yours.
I'm really keen to find a Randonneur 708 (frame around 56cm size) for audax and touring.
I have a Raleigh Rapide that I restored and it is a lovely ride. Pic attached.
Any pointers to find a Randonneur or frame gratefully appreciated. Thanks ...MarkView attachment 871246

I’d say it’s well worth keeping an eye open for a 708 Randonneur - prices have gone up a bit but look out for badly advertised ones on the Bay and Gumtree: the oversize seatstay caps are a give away, and if you see those on an advert for “Raleigh Bike” you’re in. They’re also sometimes billed as Royal/Royale - same frame. They crop up on the for sale thread here from time to time too. Search for frames as well as bikes, coz you’ll end up tinkering and upgrading anyway …. 😄

I’d say it’s well worth keeping an eye open for a 708 Randonneur - prices have gone up a bit but look out for badly advertised ones on the Bay and Gumtree: the oversize seatstay caps are a give away, and if you see those on an advert for “Raleigh Bike” you’re in. They’re also sometimes billed as Royal/Royale - same frame. They crop up on the for sale thread here from time to time too. Search for frames as well as bikes, coz you’ll end up tinkering and upgrading anyway …. 😄
Great advice. Thank you. I'll let you know how I get on

Any chance you could post a pic of the seat stay caps so that I know what I am looking for?

Page 1😉

Any chance you could post a pic of the seat stay caps so that I know what I am looking for?
Wow! I've just found one! Advertised as 1997. With 708 tubing. Even the same colour as yours. It's on for £400. Is that a little high? It looks in nice nick. V excited. Help! How do check it genuine?

If its got the frame details to match, the colour, the decals, its very unlikely its fake.
400 is a fair price
- if you want one, it's a bargain.

It might not fetch that at auction, but if you're trying to get the bike you want, you're not needing to make a short term profit.

400 is the cost of a cheap bike new now - but this is a quality piece.

Hi Regarding the Randonneur/royal bikes I have a Raleigh royal in Green size 55cm centre to top seat tube and 55 cm centre to centre top tube that I will sell if you are interested . It has its original components . Of course the Randonneur bike has higher specifications but the Reynolds 708 frames are the same . Absolutely great bikes I have two definitely a keeper .

Back