Raleigh Dyna-Tech Ti Project

dino927

Retro Newbie
I was loaned this Raleigh Dyna-Tech Ti (Trigger) back in 2007 on which I completed a LEJOG the same year. It is probably the most comfortable bike to ride I've ever ridded, however I had to return it to it's owner and it has sat unloved for the last decade.
Recently I visited my old friend and saw Trigger dumped in his shed, not sat alongside all his swept up machines in the garage, so I asked if I could take it off his hands for a project of my own, which he kindly let me do.
Today, I have stripped Trigger down to his component parts with the intention of returning him to his former glory, or better!
The Front and Rear Mechs are Shimano 600. 10 Speed Shimano 600 shifters (the rear shifter has a snapped up shift lever, which I need to replace/fix). The BB is Shimano BB-UN53 68 MM107 Tapered running a Strong Light Compact Concept 34/48T (I damaged the thread getting the seized NDS crank off!) . I need to replace the Headset and maybe the handlebars and I will try and find a new sexier saddle.
Questions I have:
1. It's Serial number (taken from below the BB) is F18178. Can anyone help me decode this one?
2. It has a Sticker Saying "performance Enhanced Tube Set" Serial No. AA6583. Does this mean anything to anyone?
3. I'm planning on getting the frame sandblasted as it is scraped and scratched and then respray it. I haven't yet seen a good source to get hold of new transfers/Stickers. Can anyone help point me in the right direction to get authentic stickers to help finish off the project nicely?
4. I'm looking to source authentic looking parts to make the bike look like he's just come off the production line. Any good ideas on where I should look for these?
5. The bottom end was quite loose laterally when I did the LEJOG. Has anyone ever tried successfully to stiffen up a Ti bike?

There is quite a lot going on there, but I'll be grateful for any pointers

Attachments

• djN8BJ2HScWprur5o90ARg.jpg
    djN8BJ2HScWprur5o90ARg.jpg
    827 KB · Views: 6
  • IKmIPkQmSR+lICHDyWzQOQ.jpg
    IKmIPkQmSR+lICHDyWzQOQ.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 6
  • G6Idy5C4SHWOUOG7wRvQdg.jpg
    G6Idy5C4SHWOUOG7wRvQdg.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 4
  • g++JbOBtRgS71QOxJXgC9A.jpg
    g++JbOBtRgS71QOxJXgC9A.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 5
  • Y0qb74MKTyK741qVskQWnA.jpg
    Y0qb74MKTyK741qVskQWnA.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Q8kU2ePQRjW6uiDgNuH64w.jpg
    Q8kU2ePQRjW6uiDgNuH64w.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Cr%G6wDwSw2kirT5fpKDMQ.jpg
    Cr%G6wDwSw2kirT5fpKDMQ.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 6
  • rCj3gvRbS0yIEs5NfsxW2w.jpg
    rCj3gvRbS0yIEs5NfsxW2w.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 8
  • AFaZdZONR9OKTRy+6IHMXg.jpg
    AFaZdZONR9OKTRy+6IHMXg.jpg
    749.1 KB · Views: 8
  • QN1I2CSnQdeHwjv2MbF4cw.jpg
    QN1I2CSnQdeHwjv2MbF4cw.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Hiya, have a soft spot for a Dyna-Tech, looks like you’ll have some fun getting yours recommissioned.

I can try and answer some of your questions I’m sure there are others with better knowledge than me.

The serial number sequence for that era was something like A=1990, B=1991 etc. yours being F could make it 1996 so I could be wrong as Dyna-Tech had become M-Trax by then - again don’t quote me on this!

The information you are looking at for tube set is the number 2125 which meant titanium main tubes and could be part titanium/part crmo chainstays and seat stays, a magnet will soon tell you which.

Honestly that frame looks like it would clean up really well with a wash and a polish. New decals could set it off. I’d really hesitate to do much in terms of refinishing a bonded frame - certainly if it’s being resprayed don’t have it baked as it may impact the bond. Not sure how this model is bonded, some were glued some a different process.

On here is a good place to ask for parts or eBay though expect to pay more there. You are more likely to get genuine stuff on here. If you’re after left-the-factory level expect to pay for it. A donor bike can often help make this cheaper.

Lots of places for decals H Lloyd cycles does have some Dyna-Tech ones.

No idea about the frame stiffness, not sure what you could do to change that!

Latest posts

Back