Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

Re: I've inherited a ogre xt dyna tech that needs restoring

My son has given me his 1992 dyna tech ogre xt that needs restoring. It hasn't been used for some years and has all the original fittings apart from a pair of pace rc35 front forks. I do have all the shimano leaflets that came with the bike but alas they only tell you how to fit for example the rear mechanisms and adjust them not how to take them apart and degrease them. Any advice on where it get this info. I've not rebuilt bikes before but used to maintain my own car in the days gone by and am reasonable mechanically competent. The only thing I will avoid trying to do is true up the rear wheel which is a few mm out of true, that activity seems a bit of an art form to me.
Do you also have advice on which greases to use on the hubs and mechanisms.

Re: I've inherited a ogre xt dyna tech that needs restoring

Bristololdbiker":1p9jnhcp said:
My son has given me his 1992 dyna tech ogre xt that needs restoring. It hasn't been used for some years and has all the original fittings apart from a pair of pace rc35 front forks. I do have all the shimano leaflets that came with the bike but alas they only tell you how to fit for example the rear mechanisms and adjust them not how to take them apart and degrease them. Any advice on where it get this info. I've not rebuilt bikes before but used to maintain my own car in the days gone by and am reasonable mechanically competent. The only thing I will avoid trying to do is true up the rear wheel which is a few mm out of true, that activity seems a bit of an art form to me.
Do you also have advice on which greases to use on the hubs and mechanisms.
loads of video how to's on you tube

I'm now thinking my Gate is a Ti3000 looking at the spec of the one that's on ebay....

Either that or it's a chequered past bike which someone has painted and colour matched the stem....

boxxer":2x086hzw said:
I'm now thinking my Gate is a Ti3000 looking at the spec of the one that's on ebay....

Either that or it's a chequered past bike which someone has painted and colour matched the stem....

Haha, problem is there seems to be so many variants of the same model. I found something new about my Dyna Tech last night... I had a look at the brochures on this site and had never seen the 1992 French Raleigh brochure. Low and behold my Dyna Tech was in there!!! For nearly 23 years I have been led to believe it's a 1991 model?

Also my frame broke/de-bonded in 1994, so now I have a 1991/2 badged Dyna Tech but a 1994 frame (which could either be an MT3 or an M Trax!!)

Therefore I officially own the rarest Raleigh Dyna Tech ;-)

It actually just arrived in New Zealand on Friday, so I'll post some pictures up soon.

Cheers

Mahoney1978":2rqjvyd7 said:
Oh... And did you win the eBay Dynatech??

No mate, that would have drawn me away from the one I already have ;)
What I did get off the seller is a complete set of very good photos of some NOS team colours decals (Orange patchy bits!) that he also had - all I needed to do was measure mine and I have perfect templates to have them commissioned :D

That bike is on its way to the Isle of Man.

later
Andy

Here's my Raleigh Dyna-Tech 401 Ti. It was supposed to be a more practical version of the standard turquoise version, with room for mudguards, they fitted longer brake calipers, but failed to increase the height of the mounting point.

The purple is just sprayed over the turquoise, so it's probably the identical bike underneath. I have the cycling plus review somewhere.

I had a 39 tooth front sprocket fitted when I bought it,and very quickly changed the 25-12 cassette to a 28-12 cassette. I'll be fitting a a 50-34 compact chain-set very shortly as I'm struggling to get up the hills around here these days.

I also changed the very narrow bars for something a bit wider.

edit, just realised all the chat is about the MTB versions :oops:

Attachments

• Raleigh 402Ti.jpg
    Raleigh 402Ti.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 576
  • Copy of grindleford goat 2014.JPG
    Copy of grindleford goat 2014.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 575
Hey All,
I just took delivery ( thanks Racin' Snake ) of a '91 Sentinel.
Apart from the road tyres and a computer it's exactly to factory spec, and in very good condition. A few scratches and the anodising gone from the rims, and that's about it. The colour, although looking washed out on the pictures in the ad is still lovely and vivid too.
The first bike I had that fit me was a Sentinel, ordered from Raleigh when I worked at Halfords. I loved it: took it on holidays to the lakes, Forest of Dean, Black forest and all over.
Then one day, it was nicked from Manchester Town Centre.
When it was stolen it had a Zoom seatpost ( about 2/3 the weight of the standard one and it looked ace) Zoom bars ( also lighter than standard) control sticks bar ends - the long ones and a different saddle who's provenance eludes me.

I had forgotten how narrow the bars were on bikes back then!

The seatpost ( a Dyna Tech 4130 ) is a bloody tight fit in the frame - tighter than I remember it being. Is this a common thing on Dynas@

I would be interested in some opinions though:
I was thinking Charge Splashbacks to replace the slicks anyone have Opinions on them?
When my original one was stolen I was considering a Sus fork: Possibly a mag 20. Any other suggestions?

Right, I'm off to get some spokes ( Mr Snake put a fiver in the box to replace the broken pair he noticed as he was packing it ) and get it ready for a quick ride tonight.

Oh and here are some pictures:
IMAG0252_zps65f740d4.jpg

IMAG0253_zps3265f729.jpg

IMAG0254_zps50e1ec23.jpg

doctorstewie":jeajtiif said:
Mahoney, if the stays are bolted, I believe that makes it an MT3, if brazed it should be an M Trax. You started work on it yet?

Therefore Raleigh swapped me out a Dyna Tech for an M Trax. Definitely brazed. However, doesn't change my love for her.

I've stripped it back to just the frame and the forks and am building up the bits to start putting it together. No doubt I'll be coming on here to update and I'll try and get a photo or two up over the weekend.

Just out of interest, do you know what seat tube size I have? I'm thinking 27.2?

Your Sentinel posted above!! Beautiful and looks original and brings back so many memories.

Latest posts

Back