Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

ultrazenith":1nhdgbbg said:
Looking forward to the photos! I guess the frame sticker would say it has '2080' tubing then, as it has 753 main tubes.

I don't have it to hand so can't confirm I'm afraid, but fairly certain there aren't any tubing stickers other than the '753' ones.

Being the prototype I suspect it is, a specific tubing set sticker probably wouldn't have been put on until confirmed production. As a guess of course.

Anybody know anything about the cromo quill stems Raleigh used on their Dynatech and higher-end steel MTBs? Were they made in-house (what I've assumed)? Were they any good?

Also, anyone know why some of the early 90s Reynolds 501 handlebars specced on some Dynatechs and Raleighs have a hole drilled near each end? At first I wondered whether this might be to allow USE bar-ends to be fitted, but those bar-ends didn't appear until a bit later if I remember correctly.

853 Dyna-Tech Racing

Hi all,

I have a Raleigh Dynatech 853 with a SN G38116.

Does anyone have any info on possible date made or even of the Dynatech team who may of raced these?

It came with Shimano 600 tri groupset, 8 speed STI, the owner reckons he had them fitted when they came out, now replaced with 10sp as the STI Rear shifter broke.

I cannot find very much info online so I am hoping someone may actually have some info about the team/bike/years etc.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 660
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 660
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 660
Re: 853 Dyna-Tech Racing

cab3086":1wc6q01u said:
Hi all,

I have a Raleigh Dynatech 853 with a SN G38116.

Does anyone have any info on possible date made or even of the Dynatech team who may of raced these?

It came with Shimano 600 tri groupset, 8 speed STI, the owner reckons he had them fitted when they came out, now replaced with 10sp as the STI Rear shifter broke.

I cannot find very much info online so I am hoping someone may actually have some info about the team/bike/years etc.

Thanks

I think you'll find your frame half way down page 1 - catalogue scan and top of page 2. I think 853 were made to measure

Re:

yes, it probably is one of the Road 853, i was hoping the SN could of narrowed it down slightly more, it could be 97 or 98 or maybe even an early 96 they used?? and I still have no info on the Dyna-Tech racing team (road), google has lead me nowhere.

Re:

Yep, the 853s were made to measure; to a point. I have one that I've owned since new in 1997. It was a warranty replacement for my dynatech which I snapped. It wasn't a full custom service but a few measurements were taken along with a discussion on how you wanted it to be in terms of particular preferences.

You could also pick any colour raleigh used at the time. Mine is banana yellow somewhat shamefully and did have chromed forks but they started to rust so I painted them black. Latterly I replaced the forks with carbon ones and all the drivetrain with modern 105 (still have all the old bits in a box. It's a lovely thing to ride. Part of me wants to repaint it, apr of me tells me that's a daft idea.

Re: Re:

cab3086":3el7qrer said:
yes, it probably is one of the Road 853, i was hoping the SN could of narrowed it down slightly more, it could be 97 or 98 or maybe even an early 96 they used?? and I still have no info on the Dyna-Tech racing team (road), google has lead me nowhere.

I think you'll find the mid to late 90ies were when Raleigh was wining MTB championships and this is where they concentrated most of their focus.
Barrie Clarke et al were riding Raleighs and winning. I think the Raleigh Road Racing team was not involved in much post '96.

Latest posts

Back