Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

Compared to other frames of the same current price range. The Dynatech joints were glued and not brazed?

Are there any older bikes with sleeve steel frames that you would recommend?

12345":1qqf9nio said:
I've read this:
Hi Guys, I used to work in Raleigh Ireland and the simple reason for the failure of the Dynatech brand was the sheer number of broken frames we would get back. My job was changing over the broken frames to new frames - and it was a full time job for 2 people and that covers just the Irish market. The road bikes were a serious problem. Its such a pity the wishbone structure on the seat stays were badly designed. Great bikes and I still enjoy mine.

Does this mean that only road bike frames had inferior quality? What about MTB frames like the Dyna Tech Diablo AL/STX? Are they on par with modern middle-class bike frames?

The bonded titanium Dynatech / M Trax frames are very good, on par with the best contemporary welded steel frames, only a welded Ti or a custom built steel frame (like a DOGSBOLX) would be significantly better. That's my opinion, anyhow, having owned and ridden each of those types of frame.

The bonding process required very clean surfaces during assembly. Basically, some frames will be prone to debonding if the Raleigh employee didn't ensure the surfaces were totally clean, which could arise due to something as simple as going for a tea break halfway through the process, with this delay being sufficient for particles to accumulate on the erstwhile clean surfaces. Some frames will not be prone to debonding. There's no way to predict which are good and which are bad. I'd say, if a frame has lasted the ~20 years since it was sold, and has been ridden a bit, it's most probably one of the good ones.

At least, this is my opinion, and I could be wrong.

it'd be hard to compare to a modern frame, as there isn't really anything comparable.
Geometry, materials, suspension are all but unrecognisable compared to how a 25 year old bonded frame would have been built up.

As far as I can remember, early frames were just built in the workshop, they should really have been in a clean room.
Later ones, the bonding was more controlled, but still subject to greasy finger prints, tea breaks and so on.

As stated above, if it's lasted this long, it's obviously a good bond. But unfortunately, you them get in to long life issues with the glue!

Re:

I've posted pics of my M-Trax in this thread before, but I like this pic from my coffee stop on Thursday:

2015-04-02%2019.43.18.jpg

I have a 19" '94 Raleigh M-Trax Ti 4000 (purple and blue) I'm going to split for/fund other projects ( :( sorry! I know this the appreciation thread).

I was thinking I could 1x8 it and turn it into a commuter but it's more likely to end up never leaving the shed.

Now the really dirty part...that leaves the frame, stem etc, which with new decals would look almost new, I was wondering how much I could look for?

Cheers/Apologies.

-I have cross-posted in the WIW? thread.

Dynatech Ogre DX purple seatpost diameter

Can anyone let me know the seatpost diameter for an ogre dx (purple one), headset size and the front mech band with. Thanks Tim

Re: Dyna-Tech Road 853

My 853 Road going strong, ready for the Alps this summer.

Attachments

• SAM_0013a.jpg
    SAM_0013a.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 623
Back