Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

I will be ( Hopefully ) Taking delivery of a slightly tatty Sentinel soon ( a bargain ) and have plans to turn it into a tourer with a Manitou Mach 5, some risers, guards and a carrier. (A mate and I are going to try the Coast to Coast via the Pennine Way when I am a bit better ) Can't wait :)

Re:

After ages working, chopping, changing I think I've finished this (bar some water bottle bosses) Raleigh RSP Titanium which I wanted to be a sort of boutique/neo/Retro style - to look pretty and pretty different.
Took off Magura hydraulic brakes and replaced with Paul Motolite V brakes and Love levers. Tried black/silver front and silver rear.
A blingy Gold KMC X(SL chain.
And finished it off with a Salsa Fliplock.
Had enough of this build now, and was wondering whether I've made it look like a dogs dinner?
Be honest!!

ka1w1i.jpg

1zh1zr6.jpg

2hofxnm.jpg

Frame - Raleigh RSP Titanium
Headset - Chris King No Threadset Griplock.
Bottom Bracket - Phil Wood with Phil Wood

Crank - Syncros Forged
Chainset/Rings - Specialites TA Outer/Mid Ringle Granny ring.
Crank Bolts - Royce s/s
Fork - Magura Quake Air
Stem - Syncros Cattlehead
Bars - X-Lite XLR Ti
Seat Post - Syncros Titanium
Saddle - WTB SST 98 Ti
Seat Clamp - Salsa Fliplock
Skewers - X-Lite Ti
Grips - WTB Dual Compound
Shifters - Shimano M008
Cables - Shimano XTR
Rear Mech - Shimano XTR M900
Front Mech - Shimano XTR M901
Hubs - Phil Wood MTB
Rims - Campagnolo Atek with Phil Wood DB spokes
Freewheel - Sachs Maillard 7 spd.
Chain - Gold KMC X9SL
Tyres - Panaracer Smoke Dart
Tubes - Continental with Dunlop Valve.
Brake Levers - Paul Love Silver
Brakes - Paul Motolite V with Jagwire Kevlar Ti cables.
Pedals - Wellgo CNC M138 silver

I think it looks good, but something doesn't sit right with me, I think it's the forks, they don't quite go with the build imho. Great build aside from that though.

ishaw":2ewdqlgy said:
I think it looks good, but something doesn't sit right with me, I think it's the forks, they don't quite go with the build imho. Great build aside from that though.

Thanks man I know what you mean - I chose them as they were standard with the frame at the time.

Not sure what other forks would work

doctorstewie":ung3yt4m said:
I can't see any Winalot there :)
Very high gearing isn't it? ( I'd break my legs on that but I am old and unfit )

Two the freewheel is something I chose as for gravel paths and easy single track

Re: Re:

ibbz":lnrvqrh8 said:
Be honest!! (I think I need to shorten the brake cables)

I'd agree with that.

Also, it's just the red decals on the fork that look a bit out of place (to me), if it were me I'd either get rid of the decals completely, get Gil_m to make some reproduction decals in black/grey/gold etc , or keep the decals but add a little bit of red into the rest of the build somewhere eg. seat collar/qr, something like that.

That's just nitpicking though, and it's your bike so it's better off how you like it, I think it looks really good as it is :D

Re: Re:

jimo746":2uzjhkt7 said:
ibbz":2uzjhkt7 said:
Be honest!! (I think I need to shorten the brake cables)

I'd agree with that.

Also, it's just the red decals on the fork that look a bit out of place (to me), if it were me I'd either get rid of the decals completely, get Gil_m to make some reproduction decals in black/grey/gold etc , or keep the decals but add a little bit of red into the rest of the build somewhere eg. seat collar/qr, something like that.

That's just nitpicking though, and it's your bike so it's better off how you like it, I think it looks really good as it is :D

Thanks ever so much mate, I think you've hit the nail on the head! The RED on the forks and the decals hence look out of sync with the rest - it's not even an attractive flash of Red (and the Magura Yellow)

I think I will keep the original decals (laziness) and may think about adding a matching flash of Red and Yellow elsewhere - But question is, WHERE?
Seatpost clamp and skewers? red/yellow Kool Stop pads? black/red WTB Weirwolf Grips?
Not sure at all!
Any suggestions?

That's it, the flash of red. You could get a saddle with red kevlar corners, might tie things together. Red bottle cage perhaps. I think it's pretty clean looking and too much red could take the shine off the rest of the build.

ishaw":2125b4du said:
That's it, the flash of red. You could get a saddle with red kevlar corners, might tie things together. Red bottle cage perhaps. I think it's pretty clean looking and too much red could take the shine off the rest of the build.

It's tempting to ask Gil_m if he could conjure up some black/gold decals for the forks - but easier to add a flash of Red somewhere else

I'd love to add some Phil Wood QR Skewers - but the Red on them is anodized and deep so doesn't match the Red on the forks.
Red Salsa seat post Clamp - it's an anodized metallic red but more normal red and not as deep as the Phil though not as half as attractive.
youre right too much red would kill it.

Back