Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

That's a nice ride you've bagged yourself for reasonable wedge. I've not taken my Diablo DX out for a while, will pump her up when it warms up a little bit.

Re:

And now for something completely different (and as the thread is 101 unread pages long I hope for your sakes and mine it is! :| )
I have in my posession a Dynatech that is not bonded :shock:
Its a cyclo-cross frame with conventional lugs and Reynolds 708 tubing.
It is original with Dynatech on the downtube and 'Delta Racing Team' on the top tube (which incidentally is the same diameter as the down tube at 28.6mm - not a standard Dia as far as Reynolds are concerned - not sure how they found the lugs for that one). Perhaps its a special for the (sponsored) team (any information please) which may have been based in South Yorkshire.
Rides like a dream incidentally.

Re:

peetee":15n11s77 said:
I have in my posession a Dynatech that is not bonded :shock:
C'mon then, let's see the pictures!

peetee":15n11s77 said:
It is original with Dynatech on the downtube and 'Delta Racing Team' on the top tube (which incidentally is the same diameter as the down tube at 28.6mm - not a standard Dia as far as Reynolds are concerned - not sure how they found the lugs for that one).
Raleigh Randonneurs and Royals from the nineties used 708 Touristique tubing with an oversized (28.6mm) top-tube, so Raleigh had the tubes and lugs available. 731OS also came with a 28.6mm top tube, but that was normally paired with a fatter (31.8mm) downtube.

I've read this:
Hi Guys, I used to work in Raleigh Ireland and the simple reason for the failure of the Dynatech brand was the sheer number of broken frames we would get back. My job was changing over the broken frames to new frames - and it was a full time job for 2 people and that covers just the Irish market. The road bikes were a serious problem. Its such a pity the wishbone structure on the seat stays were badly designed. Great bikes and I still enjoy mine.

Does this mean that only road bike frames had inferior quality? What about MTB frames like the Dyna Tech Diablo AL/STX? Are they on par with modern middle-class bike frames?

It was a problem with the bonded frames.
I've heard this from other sources within the Raleigh network.

They were all prone to failure.

And as far as comparisons, depends what you want to compare it to!

Back