Raleigh Aztec info

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I just came across a Raleigh Aztec, it looks like lugged and brazed steel, but I wondered if anyone knows whether it was 501 or some other steel? And where on the Raleigh range did the Aztec sit?

Re:

These were bog standard 18-23 steel not 501 and fairly low in the range with a shimano tourney groupset. Unless it's cheap or holds some nostalgic significance to you I wouldn't bother. The bike is in the 91 Raleigh catalogue in the archive if you want more info.

Re:

Do you know what, they aren't the lightest but I had one and it surprised me. Back when I collected Raleighs (I was poor and really wanted a collection after seeing everyone else's fleets but all I could afford was Raleighs - plus I liked their paintjobs) I bought an Aztec for £10. It was never going to be a competitor for the Marins etc but I had a lot of fun offroad with it. Bad taste in bikes or not, I loved it.

Only reason I don't have it now is because I had to sell it with my entire collection to pay the bills when I lost my job :cry:

Attachments

• aztec.jpg
    aztec.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 586
  • aztec2.jpg
    aztec2.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 584
Back