Raleigh 753 TEAM Banana Ex pro rider Resto complete

Restore or lose them

If restored it will well outlast a unrestored machine.
I believe just about everyone on this post can easily afford to complete a full resoration, prioritise, do you really need that dish washer, over grown TV etc.

You cannot replace the internal pride when those in the know complement you on the condition of your pride and joy.

I have a Olmo, fully restored, polished stainless steel fittings and alloy components,three coats of 2 pack laquer to complement the paintfinish and boy does it gleam on a sunny day, hand polished stainless spokes look the bees knees.

It is NOT IMPOSSIBLE, and the pleasure is beyond words. Do not forget we do not live forever, and as the saying goes you cannot take it with you, EVER!.

You are of course right.

So, oddly enough is anyone who values patina. (Quite current thinking for classic landrovers at the moment too!).

That said some things have such great beauty/engineering excellence/significant provenance that only the proper job will do.

Good bikes going for scrap is wrong though. I can't see another viewpoint on that one!

Re: Resoration

daytonatwin":3tdb4rzm said:
I do not understand the mentality of the bicycle collectors. All your bikes should all be fully restored, re-painted to better than original finnish, using modern paints and fully finished with a couple of coats of clear laquer, polish all the alloy components, re-chrome steel items.
Go to any classic motorcycle event and see what can be achieved.
There is no way those boys would not consider a complete restoration job on their machines.
What the push bike lot have to remember is, nobody takes a second glance at a scruffy, dirty machine as it implies, look at me I have what could be a nice machine to look at, but do you know what, I couldn't be arsed. All I keep reading is I havn't got the cash, absolute bollocks I say, it costs very little to restore a pushy compared to a motorcycle, you never hear the classic motorcycle boys making that cheap statement, they just get on with the job.

So come on you lot, put your tight fisted hand in your pocket and get that maching pristine.

Hmm, may be easy for you to say, but not everyone who doesn't restore is tight fisted - some of us are just poor you know. However, the classic motorcycle world also has the debate re patina versus restoration, and it's not true that all classic bike owners go for restoration. In my case both my classic motorcycle (a 1967 Royal Enfield Interceptor 1a) and my classic cycle (1991 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra TSX) are unrestored, have a good patina (tatty to some I'm sure) and just the way I like them. More importantly, they're mechanically excellent and thoroughly usable.

At the end of the day, in the classic vehicle world, be it cars, motorcycles, bikes or steam trains :) there's some as would polish, and some as would use, some as would do both, and some as would do neither. Vive la difference, and let's not get snotty about those who are different.

To the OP, lovely bike, hope you get much enjoyment from it :)

Back