PUTTING NEW TRANSFERS ON AN OLD BIKE

wilfh

Dirt Disciple
Has anyone put new transfers on an old frame.
I'm doing up an old frame with patina and I've gone off the idea of a respray. Unfortunately the tranfers have all but gone and Dave Lloyd can supply replacements.

Has anyone done this and were the results ok. I understand that you need to put a laquer of something on top of the transfer. How does that work in practice.

My DIY skills are poor at best but if I can have a half way house of new transfers and old paintwork that would work for me.
cheers
Wilf

Ive used both the waterside transfers/decals on my 64 Carlton Flyer and the pressure sensitive type on my 58 Constellation with great success.

Waterside decals benefit from a coat of varnish after application and when they are dry. I used a water based varnish.

The pressure sensitive ones were positioned and rubbed into position, they then detach form the backing sheet. Full instructions and suggestions for best results are supplied with each set from where I bought them - H Lloyd Cycles of Penrith. Check out their website.

Johnsqual":lflxpfbv said:
Not sure if this will work, but this site does A4 size transfer paper
so you could perhaps make your own decals. Anyone know if this
stuff is any good for making bike transfers?

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/.I ... er_151.htm

Johnny

You can indeed, I use this stuff for other work. Two types are available - opaque and transparent. The opaque type would need to be cut out - i.e. no good for complex shapes and letterforms. The transparent type is too translucent, so the ground they are applied too 'shows through' the artwork, Ok if the bike frame is say silver, but useless for darker colours. These however would not need careful cutting out. Both come with their own problems. The thing is if you overprint using a laser printer, which is perfectly OK, the toner is not opaque like properly made decals.

Hope that helps!

With inkjet transfer film you need to coat the image with waterproof clear lacquer before soaking or it washes off.

Inkjet is a total waste of time. More than likely the inks will be water based.

If using any form of output a heat sealed laser print output is the only way.

Spokesmann":36dvo88j said:
Inkjet is a total waste of time. More than likely the inks will be water based.

If using any form of output a heat sealed laser print output is the only way.

I would second that. I have used waterslide paper on a laser printer and the depth of colour is better and is more likely to last a long time than inkjet, especially if you are using compatible cartridges rather than genuine ones. But even laser printed transfers will need a top coat of laquer before application. Find a friendly copy shop who are willing to print onto your own waterslide paper, shouldn't be expensive (maybe a pound or so for an A4 sheet).

Ian.

Back