Pump Track Build - 2003 Saracen XESS XTREME

hawkhill97

Retro Guru
I'm lucky to have a couple of very nice pump tracks within riding distance of me, and have been using them over the winter for a bit of exercise / therapy time when the weather and mud have been so epically bad that I don't feel like going out for a "proper" ride.

I've tried out a few different styles of bikes over the last few years, but none of them have quite hit the spot...

BMX - the less said about this, the better! Obviously great on the pump track, but I look like an idiot, and it's horrendous to ride the few miles to/from the tracks. Hurts my back too!

My wife's small hardtail - not bad, but the seat won't go low enough, the knobby tyres are a hinderance and suspension is a bit soft for this sort of thing. Although I loved having gears, the chain won't stay where it's supposed to

26" BMX type thing - amazing on the tracks, but again awful riding to/from them. Rigid fork is a wrist killer when jumping off stuff.

So, I've been thinking for a while now I'd like to build something up that's the best compromise from the above.

- Must have gears
- Must have a squishy fork
- Seat must go low enough to pump/jump (as well as I'm able!)
- Seat must go high enough to not be hideous to pedal a few miles
- Must have half decent chain retention

I've been keeping an eye out for a second hand frame or complete bike for quite a while now, with no joy... until the weekend just gone, when I picked up this thing:

1721676339764.png

Pros

It's got a 14" seat tube, which I'm pretty sure is the sweet compromise spot for me
I know it's a 2000s Saracen......... but I kind of like it :cool:
Can be easily set up geared or SS, has a chain guide
Appropriate sort of fork

Cons

It is hefty (I think a lot of this may be the fork)
Chain stays are a bit longer than ideal (425mm at shortest setting)

It's been a while since I've done a build so quite looking forward to this one :)

It had apparently not seen a jot of grease on assembly - pretty much every bolt was a struggle to remove.

On removing the pedals, instead of the pedal coming out, the threaded pedal thread insert unscrewed from the crank arm - not a problem I've ever had before. The only way I could think of to separate the pedal from the insert was to file some flats on the insert and clamp it in a vice, then unscrew the pedals (which I doubt I'll be using on the build - at the very least, they need a good service).

This worked well - I'll probably apply some blue loctite to the insert when I re-assemble, along with plenty of grease on the pedal threads themselves.

1721681893070.png

The crank arms are also pretty damn solidly fixed on, and both the crank bolts resisted my first (still pretty spirited!) attempt to remove them.

My usual method to deal with stubborn crank bolts is to strap the crank arm to the chain stay with several old toe-clip straps, and to then use a length of pipe over an allen key. Doing this on the lawn helps protect the frame, as it spreads the sometimes considerable force required nicely.

However, I'm not sure it's worth persevering this time around - the BB bearings seem very good, and the crank arms are in serviceable condition (presuming the threaded pedal inserts stay put on re-assembly).

The chain guide is clamped by the BB, so the cranks would have to be removed to adjust this, but again it looks to be in useable condition as is.

1721681974137.png

The frame seems sound after giving it a thorough once over. The fork has some pretty nasty cable rub on the lower crown - this would bother me if I was intending to ride massive dirt jumps, but should be fine for my 4ft max bellyflops!

The paint came up reasonably well after a good clean. There are lots of small chips to touch in, but at least black is an easy colour to match!

I'm not in a mad rush on this project, so will probably spend a bit of time getting the frame & fork looking as good as I can before building it up.

1721682538756.png

For the build, so far I'm thinking:

1x8 or 1x9 drive train with chain guide/tensioner
Front & rear cable disc brakes
Slick tyres

The bike came with some fire engine red Tioga pedals & stem. Unfortunately the Tioga riser bars have been cut ridiculously short (about 600mm) so I doubt I'll be using them. I've also got a Truvativ Husslefelt bar/stem combo in the parts bin, and some generic black pedals, which could be another option.

It also came with a mahoosive Tioga DH saddle in silver and red - this will need repairing if I'm going to use it as the cover is ripped. I've never used anything like that before, it is kind of cool in a daft way.

All the parts are going to need a good clean & polish before use, there is a lot of rust and general grot!

Here's the Tioga stem. It's pretty cool, and would clean up very nicely indeed with some new bolts. However, it seems to be a 28.6mm clamp size, which I've never come across before!

The matching bars that came with the bike are cut super narrow so won't be going on the final build. I have some ok-ish 25.4mm bars that could do the trick, but I can't seem to find a suitable shim online to use them in this stem.

PXL_20240727_193552367.jpg

Alternatively, I've got a 25.4mm stem that matches the bars (and, coincidentally, the cranks that came on this bike):

PXL_20240727_193622348.jpg

This would be perfectly serviceable, but I do kind of like the Tioga option...

Any ideas on sourcing a suitable shim? I did wonder if a 22.2mm to 25.4mm shim would work - these are readily available and make up the same difference in diameter. Anyone tried this before?

Reactions: CTK
Get the right shims or better yet the right bars.
It's not the fork that's heavy, these things weighed a metic ton good fun, solid bike designed to chuck down a slope and ot snap. Have fun with it.

Get the right shims or better yet the right bars.
It's not the fork that's heavy, these things weighed a metic ton good fun, solid bike designed to chuck down a slope and ot snap. Have fun with it.
Thanks - probably sensible advice for a bike that's inevitably going to see me riding in a generally silly and inadvisable fashion!

Latest posts

Back