Puerto Pollensa Holiday

Re:

thanks for you advice, everyone - your help has been invaluable!

ready for the off . . will post some photos when we get back.

:cool:

Re:

we booked last night - a week in Palma Nova after the Easter weekend. Half board in a hotel for just under £300 all in. I'm rather pleased with that. Plus we've booked our bikehire. I chose a carbon Canyon with Campag 11 speed for 139 Euros which is bike hire including on-road repairs/recovery.

Ready to roll ....

Re: Re:

rusty bodie":3968ocw5 said:
thanks for you advice, everyone - your help has been invaluable!

ready for the off . . will post some photos when we get back.

:cool:
Thats a lovely bike to trust to a baggage handler.

Re:

well, i've just accidentally erased the whole tale of the holiday, so i've spared you ten minutes of holiday recollections, you'll be delighted to hear! suffice to say that puerto pollensa is the ideal holiday base on the island and that the climbs to cap de formentor, Lluc and sa calobra (horrendous!) were the ones that tested my old pins!

here's some photos for your amusement. i was by far the slowest, fattest and oldest rider on any climb at any given time. vive le retro!!

i think i'll try a course of this stuff before attempting any of the climbs again . . i should have been 20 lbs lighter. . :?

the first stop at formentor - you probably shouldn't be tired enough to stop here unless you're trying to keep up with a lance armstrong lookalike that's just flown by near the summit . .

the road to cap de formentor and it's inhabitants . .

the unlit tunnel on the descent of the formentor where no matter what speed you're doing, you hit a spot where you can't see anything . . and that's without the oakleys on!

and at the top of the col de femenia on the road to Lluc from pollensa - i see a few of my old clubmates have been here before!

and the repsol garage just beyond Lluc on the road to caimari . .

and the hideous roads of the calobra - why did no one tell me just how dreadful this climb was?!! are you all using granny gears like the rest of the cycling population these days? 39 x 26 was a little overgeared i think!

i stopped long enough to get a couple of shots for "proof" that i did it (she doesn't believe anything i tell her) and then it was all uphill for the next 60 minutes . . check out http://www.mallorca-uphill.com - their details were on the start sign pictured here!!

and in true 1960s tour de france fashion, i found a rock pool to help my burning feet.i tried to charge 5 euros admission but the first group to pass at the hairpin bend, shouted out in scottish accents, " that'll be right!! "

thanks to everyone for their help - this was a great holiday and i'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone - but get those granny gears on first - a retro set isn't going to cut it over there!!

:shock:

Re:

go do sa calobra and please don't tell me that it was anything other than diabolical!!

:shock:

have a great time out there and go say hi to the guys and gals in procycle hire for me..

craig :cool:

Guy on our camp a couple of years ago rode sa calobra on the big ring, mostly 53x19 with the odd excursion into his 21 and 23. Think it took him just under 30mins.
He is about 50 kilos wet through.

Think the record for the climb is 25 or 26 minutes. And rumour has it that Brad Wiggins was using it for interval training. Riding up it, then doing it again.

Daft git.

Back