Public sector strikes on Wednesday

marky2484":12bgtftx said:
Be hanging on for that MOD pension to start paying out when you're 60 then eh ;)

Don't think it does pay at 60. Think it's 65 now but I'd have to check.

Anyhooo, if I'm still healthy and corpus-minto I expect I'd choose to work on. Can't stand the thought of bimbling around getting under people's feet and I enjoy my work, so I plan to do something in a consultancy role, or failing that, make widgets in my shed :D

Really fancy learning to TIG and building a bike and all components from scratch. Now that would be a nice challenge!

I am not doing this now but I am still young. As soon as I can afford to I will start a decent pension.

I'd suggest starting now. The longer you leave it, the less time you have and the more you have to put in. It doesn't actually get very much more affordable :/

MikeD":3rx28y9f said:
I am not doing this now but I am still young. As soon as I can afford to I will start a decent pension.
I'd suggest starting now. The longer you leave it, the less time you have and the more you have to put in. It doesn't actually get very much more affordable :/
Indeed - for those I've experienced who don't pay into pensions, tomorrow never comes.

In my opinion you have to start from the outset (yes, I accept, when you're earning peanuts) and view it like tax - otherwise, you never will until it's too late.

I think some people start out with some ambitious plans about how they're going to provide - some kind of savings or investments they're gonna do, later on in their career, when they've got a lot more disposable income. Problem is, it just disappears from their radar.

Neil":2fea52uj said:
MikeD":2fea52uj said:
Indeed - for those I've experienced who don't pay into pensions, tomorrow never comes.

In my opinion you have to start from the outset (yes, I accept, when you're earning peanuts) and view it like tax - otherwise, you never will until it's too late.

I think some people start out with some ambitious plans about how they're going to provide - some kind of savings or investments they're gonna do, later on in their career, when they've got a lot more disposable income. Problem is, it just disappears from their radar.

So true.
Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow!

suburbanreuben":xike6etu said:
Scougar":xike6etu said:
BTW.. did you know that if you use private healthcare you can't use the NHS? I didn't know that till recently.
Utter bullshit.

I was pretty stunned when I was told as well. I'm taking it at face value, was just assuming that as it was a group of people telling me the same thing they were correct. I'll try and find out if it is indeed true.

EDIT: Hmm.. does appear that you may be correct: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2572.aspx?C ... goryID=226 (ALTHOUGH, this is relating to 'cancer' it seems so may not be a general theme.)

I tend to agree with most of these comments posted on the BBC, these are the most popular ones, not much support for the strikes.

20.Merod
Comment number 20 is an Editors' Pick
5 Hours ago
The last national government to bow to union pressure and provide/maintain generous pensions to its public sector staff was Greece. The fiscal planning by our current government may be unpopular but it is factually necessary given the circumstances. Loss of a finger now, or amputation of an arm later? I'll take the pain of the former rather than foist the latter on my children.

Report this comment (Comment number 20)
Link to this (Comment number 20)
rate this +110
rate this
+110
Comment number 763.Sushimo
Comment number 763 is an Editors' Pick
2 Hours ago
67 years old, still working due to meager pension and will continue until he cannot lift his tools anymore, nor clamber over roofs to fix them. This is the reality of my man working in the private sector, he cannot afford to stop, his private pension was virtually lost, (Equitable Life) and his state pension is a pittance - mine even worse. Sympathy for this bunch? You have to be joking!!

Report this comment (Comment number 763)
Link to this (Comment number 763)
rate this +101
rate this
+101
Comment number 60.chris_cat
4 Hours ago
I am in Unite. I am a health worker. I am not striking today. I don't think it can be justified, people in this country, all people, are suffering enough. Yes it is unfair but at the moment, life is unfair for most people. We've dined out on credit for 15 years and it's time to pay the bill. I'm prepared to stand up and take less, because that's what I have to do. We are all in it together.

Report this comment (Comment number 60)
Link to this (Comment number 60)
rate this +90
rate this
+90
Comment number 11.Ivan1963
5 Hours ago
Will someone please explain to me:
Why I (as a tax payer) should pay for these people to retire on a better pension than I could ever afford for myself?
Why do they think they should be immune from the global financial downturn that is hurting everyone?
Is Edd Balls really saying we should follow the Greeks & Italians and borrow even more money we can’t pay back to pay for it?

Report this comment (Comment number 11)
Link to this (Comment number 11)
rate this +86
rate this
+86
Comment number 236.Mark
4 Hours ago
My wife works for the public sector. She has just gone in to work and crossed the picket line to scowling faces.

She has gone in because she provides an emergency service to children in care.

I'm so proud of her.

I work in the private sector and have next to no pension. I guess I'll just have to keep on working!!

Report this comment (Comment number 236)
Link to this (Comment number 236)
rate this +76
rate this
+76
Comment number 6.Rich Tapestry
5 Hours ago
The placards read "A fair pension for everyone" but what they really mean is a generous pension for themselves, funded by the extremely hard-pressed taxpayer.

Report this comment (Comment number 6)
Link to this (Comment number 6)
rate this +76
rate this
+76
Comment number 61.andy helgesen
4 Hours ago
The MP's sneeked in a £1000 pay rise and in the PM's own words the MP's pension is very generous.
Do as we say not as we do.

Report this comment (Comment number 61)
Link to this (Comment number 61)
rate this +74
rate this
+74
Comment number 124.TheWalrus999
4 Hours ago
Support the striker?
I will. Like I've done every day of my working lives.
While I stuggle to pay my taxes, and bills and pension contributions, I will continue to subsidise theirs.
And while they are sat at home in their early retirement, rest assured I will work wel linto my 70s to pay for their Sky subscriptions.
All in this together? I don't think.

Report this comment (Comment number 124)
Link to this (Comment number 124)
rate this +73
rate this
+73
Comment number 145.cheshiremouse
4 Hours ago
Agreed something must be done about pensions. Including those of MPs and senior executives of private companies. The first step of the government should have been to change the pensions of MPs BEFORE any change to the public's pensions. The second step should have been to reduce tax relief on the pensions of those with mega salaries.

Report this comment (Comment number 145)
Link to this (Comment number 145)
rate this +73
rate this
+73
Comment number 412.lookingforgoodnews
Comment number 412 is an Editors' Pick
3 Hours ago
if I was a public worker I would want to get as much as I can from the system, but as a realistic private sector worker with no pension, I can see that there is no way the country can support those kinds of benefits for workers who are living longer, with fewer private sector workers to support their pensions. A private worker can not afford a pension with those kinds of benefits. Get real

Report this comment (Comment number 412)
Link to this (Comment number 412)
rate this +70
rate this
+70
Comment number 418.modusman
Comment number 418 is an Editors' Pick
3 Hours ago
My Son and Daughter in Law both work in the public service and both recognize the mess we have been left in and accept that things like pensions have to change if they are to have a future. They both voted against a strike but both have been forced to stay at home and lose a days pay due to the actions of the union dinosaurs. Thanks a bunch

Report this comment (Comment number 41:cool:
Link to this (Comment number 41:cool:
rate this +58
rate this
+58
Comment number 72.GlynT
4 Hours ago
There are more than 2 million unemployed - many well qualified who would give their eye teeth for a Public Service job.

These strikers are not irreplaceable - and the British public don't have to surrender to Union Political Bullies.

Lets clear out the minority driving these strikes.

Report this comment (Comment number 72)
Link to this (Comment number 72)
rate this +55
rate this
+55
Comment number 81.Old_Hat
4 Hours ago
Most of us in the private sector don't get bonuses, don't get pay rises and our pensions are far worse than those of our public sector counterparts, if our employers can't afford to keep us, we lose our jobs and there's nothing we can do about it. Why do public sector workers seem to think they should be above therest of us?.

Report this comment (Comment number 81)
Link to this (Comment number 81)
rate this +50
rate this
+50
Comment number 78.StuartFD
4 Hours ago
Nice to see 2m can afford a day out of the office, I know I can't as I'm working my socks off in the private sector trying to survive the recession.

Report this comment (Comment number 7:cool:
Link to this (Comment number 7:cool:
rate this +50
rate this
+50
Comment number 204.Total Mass Retain
4 Hours ago
"S42Wolf
How would you feel if your employer said:
1. You're going to have to pay more for your pension (Moan).
2. You're going to have to work longer for your pension (Moan)
3. Your pension will be significantly reduced (WHAT!!!)"

This has already happened to me in the private sector and strking would have been a futile response. Hence I lack sympathy for the plight of public sector workers.

Report this comment (Comment number 204)
Link to this (Comment number 204)
rate this +48
rate this
+48
Comment number 125.solomondogs
4 Hours ago
They 're lucky to have a pension, whether its been cut or not they still get a good deal. In this climate they are coming across as greedy and selfish. As a small business I cut my rates two years ago, they're still at that level and will continue to be, for some time, I cannot afford a pension, yet my tax AND 28% of my council tax is being used to pay for this lot. They ought to be ashamed.

Report this comment (Comment number 125)
Link to this (Comment number 125)
rate this +44
rate this
+44
Comment number 12.Mr W
5 Hours ago
I can understand people not being happy about changes to their pensions and such but there are so harsh realities people have to realise . Life expectancy is rising , the country doesnt have the money , most in the private sector are suffering too . To refer to bankers pay and FTSE directors pay isnt a fair reflection of whats happening to the rest of the pvt sector .

Report this comment (Comment number 12)
Link to this (Comment number 12)
rate this +42
rate this
+42
Comment number 176.zzgrark
4 Hours ago
Whilst I have some sympathy for pub sec workers whose conditions are being changed, this is no different from what the priv sec has been doing for 3 years simply to survive. The pub sector in its current form is unaffordable due to decades of govt overspending. The pub sec may find they are not as indispensable as they think they are; these actions could lead to privatisations by the back door.

Report this comment (Comment number 176)
Link to this (Comment number 176)
rate this +37
rate this
+37
Comment number 143.orientrich
4 Hours ago
I worked for a council for several years when I first started work before moving into the private sector.
In comparison the public sector is not target driven and generally everything was pretty easy. The pay wasn't fantastic at the time, but wages increased pretty quickly.
Compared to the private sector it was an easy ride and the benefits generally in the pirvate sector do not make up for this

Report this comment (Comment number 143)
Link to this (Comment number 143)
rate this +31
rate this
+31
Comment number 45.Matt Conway
Comment number 45 is an Editors' Pick
4 Hours ago
Isn't fair? Go talk to one of the billions of people living without a job, without a house, without a penny, without any prospects....

Oh right, your 3 extra years of paid working followed by (the new pension offer) what is still a very very very good pension!

Neil":17j2k840 said:
MikeD":17j2k840 said:

Exactly the point rumble seems to miss. If he doesn't get sorted (and I hope he does) he will expect the tax payer to look after him. he does not seem to grasp this.

brocklanders023":20ygdg05 said:
Neil":20ygdg05 said:
MikeD":20ygdg05 said:

Exactly the point rumble seems to miss. If he doesn't get sorted (and I hope he does) he will expect the tax payer to look after him. he does not seem to grasp this.

Am I missing something here, don't we all get a state pension on top of whatever other pension arrangement we may have or not have?

Not that I expect there to be a state pension by the time I come to retire.

Back