proto type frame part out help

hybridrace

Retro Newbie
Hey guys first time poster
Well I have this bike that i got in 2001 for my birthday. I was a avid cyclist. having a bmx bike, a hard tail mountain, and a road bike. I wanted a DH/freestyle bike so I asked my mom and dad for specialized big hit enduro . Well they decided not to get me that, idk why but they got me this "prototype frame" from my azn neighbor, I cant recall where he was from, but i think the frame came out of japan but he was sponsored. I listed off I wanted bomber supension ect and I was happy to see my new bike. well I got a big surprise that it wasn't a DH/freestyle bike. It was more of a cross country bike any way i loved my bike and road it just like a dh, well as you can see i rode it hard. well all my dh friends moved away and i dont cycle anymore and now I want to get back into it so im selling alot of my old stuff. can you guys help me price this stuff when i part it out. I have Googled the frame i guess it really was a prototype i cant find it any where.
TL:DR what can i get for this bike and its parts.
IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

It has
> citcron powercycle 7005 alloy frame ( prototype frame)
>sram plasma grip shift
>avid sd-2.0l break leaver
>fsa orbit xlII head set
>pz company handle bar
>post moderne seatpost
>avid 25 breaks
>dnm 750 rear suspension st-10rc
>sugino mighty 300x crank
>shimano lx deore derailleur
> Marozocchi bomber z3 front supension

The one thing about prototypes is that you always need paperwork or solid evidence that it is the real thing. Otherwise, it's just a claim.
Even with the paperwork or proof, it's always difficult to predict the value of prototypes because there's nothing to compare them with.
That becomes even more true when you consider the fact that it's a completely unknown brand.

A google search on the DNM shock taught me that it is an asian-based brand.
"Rampageous" and "Powercycle" are typical English words that Japanese would put on a bike because it just sounds cool to them.
So all in all, I'd buy the story about it being Japanese, even without knowing the owner's Asian background.

However there's a major problem.

The frame, while it is obviously all aluminium, does have a generic look to it. Many modern cheap FS bikes have a similar Y-shaped frame and a non-linkage suspension.
True, there are some interesting details on the frame, but that's typical for the Japanese. They focus on the details, while we in the west typically focus on the whole image first.

I see no canti bridge on the rear end, so this is a frame designed when V-brakes were already common. By then, the Europeans were already going to multi-pivot and/or multi-link suspension because that was simply better.
I am fairly certain that the Japanese wouldn't be behind when it comes to such technology, so this was most likely a lower-end model.

Also, prototypes (especially if raced by sponsored riders, and you do mention he was sponsored) would be dripping in high-end parts. Seeing as this is a late 90s bike, I'd say M950 XTR at the least.
Even if a competition bike would be retired to become a recreational bike, I doubt the owner would drop the spec all the way down to LX and Sugino.

As such, I doubt the prototype status. My money is on this being a lower-end bike.
Keeping all that in mind, even if I were interested I wouldn't pay more than ... ooh ... £60-75 for the frame + shock, and that is assuming that the shock is in perfect condition. It's completely unknown here, so it'll probably be a nightmare to get it serviced.
If the shock needs a service soon (and based on how you rode it, that scenario is likely), I wouldn't go much above £30-40.
I'm not kidding here, these are the realistic figures. Of course you can always find someone on eBay who's willing to pay more for it, but then again you might not. It might go for £10 there.

As for the components, the plastic pedals are completely worthless. The rest depends on the condition of every item.
I see that the top cap of the right-hand fork leg is still in the crown but the rest isn't. Is it sheared? If so, that's another part that you probably won't be able to sell.

can't see the pics ,but will do when home
but this rings the bells

"I wanted a DH/freestyle bike so I asked my mom and dad for specialized big hit enduro . Well they decided not to get me that, idk why but they got me this "prototype frame" from my azn neighbor, "

i wanted a raliegh chopper when i was 12 , my parents bought a raliegh
SHOPPER as it was just the same but cheaper

could be the same but different :LOL:

Awful lot of prototypes seem to be popping up, recently.

Is it something they're putting in the water?

dyna-ti":2bf5zkh0 said:
mikee":2bf5zkh0 said:
i wanted a raliegh chopper when i was 12 , my parents bought a raliegh
SHOPPER

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: pmsl
I reckon it was because of the Beavis and Butthead sniggering when saying he wanted a big chopper between his legs that did it. What right minded, somewhat sarcastic, parents wouldn't buy a Raleigh Shopper in that situation, I ask you...

A prototype Y frame from the late nineties :shock:

Nay chance, Y frames were well established by then and begining their slide into the world of BSO.

Nothing on that bike says rare prototype to me. Rarity would only exist because it was not a model sold here.

I'm not slagging it off mind as I like Y frames and it has some nice details but its not a prototype high end bike. It might have been the first full sus the manufacturer had ever made and in that respect a prototype but its a copy of other bikes from a technology point of view.

Seeing the pics I think your folks got ripped off

Nothing proto and everything mass produced about that...

Dnm stands for "does not move" as specced to Bso level bikes... Even sr suntour forks laugh at them...

thank you guys for the help I will take what i can get from the parts i guess and probably keep the frame for a project of some type.

Back