Project LTS is go (nearly!)

Pickle

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I find myself landed with an unintentional project!
The LTS is paid for....just waiting for her to arrive. So whilst I'm waiting, I've got to decide what to do with her.
Wrong timing completely as spending is at a low point, with going on holiday next week and baby Alfie arriving early July!
However, I couldn’t say no to Project LTS as a) it’s a GT and b) it was a steal.
So, what do people think I should do to her as a budget refurbishment?
Wheels wise, I am toying with slipping in my SPIN and Pro-Circuit/Mavic 231 front rim, and MCK will hopefully be hooking me up with some canti’s, thumbies and levers.
The forks will almost certainly be going, and I’m thinking of replacing with Quadras. Someone on here had some dirt cheap ones going a few months ago….anyone remember who??? I have also got a GT alloy straight bar coming from LongboardSi.
Any other comments, suggestions for her?
Oh, and I haven't looked yet, but does anyone know off the top of their head if this is a LTS 1 or 2? I'm guessing 2, but am a little unsure.

Cheers all ;)

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,469
Weren't quadras a bit pants? Selling those forks/stem and bars should net you enough for a pair of judys and a kore stem with some spare pennies for a set of hoops. If it was me(which it isn't) I would look at building something a bit different from your RTS, maybe(dependant on frame weight) build one XC/lighter and something a bit more chuckable/cheap. What kind of bikes do you have?

I don't often say this but I'd keep the risers - more in keeping with the LTS as a 'play' bike, and I'd fit some flattie pedals.

You'll need V brakes not canti's - sorry my mistake!

not thumbies on an LTS, they were firmly in the rapidfire+ era.

looks like a 1996 frame-only to me

kaiser":2bwixjsx said:
Weren't quadras a bit pants? Selling those forks/stem and bars should net you enough for a pair of judys and a kore stem with some spare pennies for a set of hoops. If it was me(which it isn't) I would look at building something a bit different from your RTS, maybe(dependant on frame weight) build one XC/lighter and something a bit more chuckable/cheap. What kind of bikes do you have?

Quadra’s were ok, my RTS originally came with Quadra 21’s which were adequate for the job. I’ve never had Judy’s, so if I may be tempted to try them. Just want something quick and easy! My RTS and Avalanche Expert are both XC bikes, head down seat up jobs.

MadCowKev":2bwixjsx said:
I don't often say this but I'd keep the risers - more in keeping with the LTS as a 'play' bike, and I'd fit some flattie pedals.
You'll need V brakes not canti's - sorry my mistake!

Sorry, I’m not a riser bar kinda guy, so I’ll be going. Gave up with ‘play’ bikes after smashing my collar bone and shoulder at a BMX course. Has put me off jumping too high and too far now! This one will be XC orientated. Sorry!

jango":2bwixjsx said:
Looks like a fun project, I've got a black Kore stem spare if you need it.

It will be fun jango! Put the KORE on one side, as I love them (ones on my Avalanche) so will probably have it off you if the one on it at the moment is naff.

cce":2bwixjsx said:
not thumbies on an LTS, they were firmly in the rapidfire+ era.
looks like a 1996 frame-only to me

Yea, you may be right about ‘frame only’ actually, as frame only GT’s (RTS, LTS etc) don’t have 1, 2 or 3. This isn’t going to be a period build, so I’m not too worries about thumbies or rapidfire.

The question now is can I get it done in time to have it as a spare bike for MM???

Nice find. 1996 frame with ti top link. How's the shock?

Pickle":knbdw3e5 said:
kaiser":knbdw3e5 said:

Quadra’s were ok, my RTS originally came with Quadra 21’s which were adequate for the job. I’ve never had Judy’s, so if I may be tempted to try them. Just want something quick and easy! My RTS and Avalanche Expert are both XC bikes, head down seat up jobs.

Quadras are definitely not OK. Spend a few quid extra on some Judy's the frame deserves it.

I'd go along the lines of a full 8 speed XT v-brake gruppo. Right era, works good.

John":diqak6qp said:
Quadras are definitely not OK. Spend a few quid extra on some Judy's the frame deserves it.

I'd go along the lines of a full 8 speed XT v-brake gruppo. Right era, works good.

Hmm, that'd be nice, I do like XT ;)

I am split between making this nice build, which would take time, effort and ££'s, or just chucking 'whatever' at it to get it rolling for use as a spare retrobike for MM.

I dunno..... :?

That is a stunner of a frame.

Build it how you can to get it up and running, but you should certainly be thinking a XT / Kore build with a Judy up front in the long term. Anything else just wouldn't be doing her justice. :cool:

Back