Project 2 rigid fork length on 1998 Kona Hei Hei

cbee

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
I have a 17" 1998 Kona Hei Hei Ti, which has suspension correct geometry for 80mm travel forks. I decided to change to rigid forks and have fitted a Kona Project 2 in 440mm length (drop-out to crown) as this is the length of the 80mm suspension forks I took off, but obviously before compression. I managed to find a 440mm pair with rim brake only mounts. I've had 410mm Project 2s (drop-out to crown) on before but the front feels and looks too low for my tastes. The 440mm obviously slackens the front a touch, but to me it feels good and rides well. A purist retro approach is not an issue here as I intend to use this as a occasional commuting/winter off-road bike.

Has anyone else tried this on a similar vintage Kona, and to what effect please?

If you like the look/feel of the end result that's all that matters;

My 2K Explosif with slightly short fork...

P1030957.jpg

...but I love the way it looks/rides :cool:

We_are_Stevo":xz82cesy said:
If you like the look/feel of the end result that's all that matters;

My 2K Explosif with slightly short fork...

P1030957.jpg

...but I love the way it looks/rides :cool:

That looks great, thanks, and I have the same amount of seatpost showing, but I have occasional neck problems and can't have the front so low. I don't like to see loads of headtube spacers or high rise stems - hence the longer fork choice.

The frame was designed for a 41cm a-c Project 2, so fitting the 44cm version will reduce the head angle from 71 degrees to c69. As you say, that will slow down the steering, but that may not bother you. On the other hand, if you want to restore sharp handling, fit a 3cm shorter stem (e.g., 90mm as it was designed for a 120).

Although this is an anything-goes website, I must say that you have a very handsome frame there and an extremely ugly fork.

Anthony":2om0mfmp said:
The frame was designed for a 41cm a-c Project 2, so fitting the 44cm version will reduce the head angle from 71 degrees to c69. As you say, that will slow down the steering, but that may not bother you. On the other hand, if you want to restore sharp handling, fit a 3cm shorter stem (e.g., 90mm as it was designed for a 120).

Although this is an anything-goes website, I must say that you have a very handsome frame there and an extremely ugly fork.

Fair comment and, yes, I am using a shorter stem to quicken up the steering. In aesthetic terms, an all black P2 on a Ti frame with black decals I find quite acceptable.

We_are_Stevo":g8vhpjcb said:
...well in mitigation Ti P2's are pretty thin on the ground ;)

Thanks for your comment, but only the frame is Ti - the P2 is a standard steel issue. Did Kona ever offer a Ti fork?

cbee":3ojlt4z1 said:
Thanks for your comment, but only the frame is Ti - the P2 is a standard steel issue. Did Kona ever offer a Ti fork?

Last one I saw around here for sale went for $800. Saw a video from the Kona offices recently. Dan picked up a Ti P2 they had on display and said the first protos cost them $1800

We_are_Stevo":37oxm4ld said:
cbee":37oxm4ld said:
We_are_Stevo":37oxm4ld said:
...well in mitigation Ti P2's are pretty thin on the ground ;)

Yes, I have seen Ti P2's - but only in photo's...

http://kalimotxo.com/mtb/images/parts/o ... ti_007.jpg

...from this thread;

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Amazing! Did Sandvic make them for Kona, as they did the Ti frames?

Back