Project 2 rigid fork length on 1998 Kona Hei Hei

P2 A to C

I have a '93 Lava Dome with 410 A to C P11s. I fitted a 100mm stem to take care of a bad shoulder and it makes a great singletrack ride. Still I can't help wondering what it would be like with a 390mm fork.
As has been said allready if you're happy with your ride thats all that matters.

Re: P2 A to C

shedobits":31xg4rwl said:
I have a '93 Lava Dome with 410 A to C P11s. I fitted a 100mm stem to take care of a bad shoulder and it makes a great singletrack ride. Still I can't help wondering what it would be like with a 390mm fork.
As has been said allready if you're happy with your ride thats all that matters.

Thanks for your comments.

I think the '93 Lava Dome was sold with the 410mm A to C P2 fork, because I once had the '95 model in exactly that format. However, by '98 all Kona hardtail frames were designed to take a 80mm travel suspension fork. (I have the 1998 Kona catalogue, by the way). My own feeling, for what it's worth, is that the 410mm A to C P2 is too short for these late 90s suspension corrected frames, as I recently tried one out on my Hei Hei. Since I fitted the 440mm A to C P2 I've been experimenting with a 70mm stem and, as I said in my OP, so far I'm quite happy with it. The current trend in the UK is towards slacker geometry and short stems with wider bars, and my main bike is set up like this.

cbee":3dalv3oa said:
I have a 17" 1998 Kona Hei Hei Ti, which has suspension correct geometry for 80mm travel forks. I decided to change to rigid forks and have fitted a Kona Project 2 in 440mm length (drop-out to crown) as this is the length of the 80mm suspension forks I took off, but obviously before compression. I managed to find a 440mm pair with rim brake only mounts. I've had 410mm Project 2s (drop-out to crown) on before but the front feels and looks too low for my tastes. The 440mm obviously slackens the front a touch, but to me it feels good and rides well. A purist retro approach is not an issue here as I intend to use this as a occasional commuting/winter off-road bike.

Has anyone else tried this on a similar vintage Kona, and to what effect please?
You ain't no Princess! :roll:

:p

suburbanreuben":130alvkg said:
cbee":130alvkg said:
I have a 17" 1998 Kona Hei Hei Ti, which has suspension correct geometry for 80mm travel forks. I decided to change to rigid forks and have fitted a Kona Project 2 in 440mm length (drop-out to crown) as this is the length of the 80mm suspension forks I took off, but obviously before compression. I managed to find a 440mm pair with rim brake only mounts. I've had 410mm Project 2s (drop-out to crown) on before but the front feels and looks too low for my tastes. The 440mm obviously slackens the front a touch, but to me it feels good and rides well. A purist retro approach is not an issue here as I intend to use this as a occasional commuting/winter off-road bike.

Has anyone else tried this on a similar vintage Kona, and to what effect please?
You ain't no Princess! :roll:

:p

Sorry, but I don't understand your comment !!

Back