Proflex 857 frame, Pace RC3, WTB Greaseguard hub & bits

Maybe I can add some clarity to the debate about my beloved Proflex as there seems to be all kinds of gossip & pondering going on about it at the moment.

First of all I can assure everyone that this isn't a stolen bike. I bought it from Andy at Biketreks, Ambleside in 1997 for about £2000 as a reward to myself for getting my first proper job after university. I test rode the 757 version (without the carbon swing arm) round Loughrigg but my ankles kept banging the swingarm edges, so I decided to go for the 857 instead. Always lusted after Pace forks too & thought they'd go nicely with the carbon swing arm & I also upgrade to the NR4 piggyback shock which looked the business and the standard bars to Orange Supercross riser bars too before I took delivery.

I loved riding this bike for several years before I got married & started a family, when like many people, mountain biking took a back seat & the Proflex went into storage for a while. Once my kids got passed the baby stage & I started to get some time to ride again I bought myself a new bike with "luxuries" like disc brakes & the Proflex stayed unused.

It's been out of sight & out of mind until I had a clear out in my garage recently. I really wasn't sure what it was worth or whether anyone would actually want it but I thought I'd give it a go selling it & hopefully get a few quid in the process. This is why I posted a thread here and on Singletrack too as I honestly doubted whether I'd get any interest. How wrong I was!!

I'm sure some of the more experienced Retrobikers on here would have demanded a higher price for it, but to be honest the money I'll get for it is money I wouldn't have got if my missus had got her way & taken it to the tip! If people have got a bargain in the process, then I'm happy for them. Everyone's got a good deal that way, haven't they?

Thanks for all the interest though. It's been a busy day replying to all the PM's, but I've got to crack with my real job now & later on start packing the parts up for delivery as soon as I can.

Cheers. Headpotdog

i will just clear up for you i was not implying your bike was stolen i was really having a dig at a couple of the buyers who had commented on a post of mine quite a while ago with re to avoiding stolen bikes i was mearly pointing out to them they seemed to be going against all their own advice on this one. and i seriously think you had under priced it. i personally would have payed more based on what you have said

No problem Grover. I just wanted to ensure that anyone buying items from me had no doubt about its legitimacy or the motivation of its seller. Forums can be fantastic places at times, but they can also taint peoples impressions easily too because they are so impersonal.

It would have been nice to get more money, of course, but I'm happy to have had a quick sale too. No bad feelings from my side at the end of the day as I went into it with honest intentions and got an honest outcome.

Just to let everyone know that the frame, forks, chainset, rear hub, brake levers/shifters have now all been sold, but I've still got these items left if anyone's interested.

WTB front hub £15
XT rear QR skewer £5
XT (M739) rear derailleur £15
XT (M750) front derailleur £15
or full package for £45
(+ postage if collection not possible from West Yorkshire)

IMAG1017 by J, on Flickr

Back