Pro-Stop Hydraulics (Parts, bleeding)

wanderer

Dirt Disciple
I've a pair of old ProStop hydraulic brakes, I've had to stop using them, as I cannot find anywhere to get new seals or hoses from and they don't seem to want to bleed in the current state. They are complete with Mountain cycle hubs running floating disks on a pair of Sunn singletrack rims.
I've tried, on many occasions, for many hours, to bleed them, every time air enters the system from somewhere - is there something that I'm missing, some technique specific to these things?

Does anyone know where to get hoses and seals from? Do parts from any other type of brake fit? The hoses are made from clear plastic with no braiding, could this be the issue?

I tried getting parts or info from Mountain Cycle but, they couldn't help.

I'd like to get them up and running again, possibly to use, possibly to sell on.

When they worked they were really good - well ahead of their time.

Any information gratefully received.

Simon

Thanks for that link, I've mailed them with some questions re. their stock and its compatibility.

Does anyone have any experience in bleeding these brakes? Does anyone know anything about them that could be of use?

DSCN3052.jpg

DSCN3051.jpg

Cheers,
Simon

Pro-Stop

My experience with those brakes was they didn't work very well
on big mountains, as they would get hot and lock up until they cooled down
again, possibly because the resorvoir for the fluid wasn't big enough to shed the heat.

Hey i remember cobbling together a Prostop lever with a hope caliper bitd.
Worked ok :?

FairfaxPat - Is it nice and warm over there? I'm more likely to need to crack the ice off the disks over here at the moment, maybe I'll start getting that issue when there is more brake fluid than air in the hoses. :) When I used them on the bike they came on, a Marin B17, they seemed fine until the bleeding issue reared its ugly head.

rc300 - Hey i remember cobbling together a Prostop lever with a hope caliper bitd.
Worked ok Confused

How did you get around the hose fitment differences? Way out of my league I fear.

Simon

used to manage a shop that did both Motorbikes and cycles lots of fittments available to work with :D

rc300":2m02q6g8 said:
used to manage a shop that did both Motorbikes and cycles lots of fittments available to work with :D

I don't suppose you have any fitments lying about that might fit these hoses? Or know where I might source them - Cambria only appear to have the actual hose, not the ends.

Simon

Pro-Stop

Hey Wanderer-yeah it is going to be around 68-70 degrees with abundant sunshine here today.

Back