Preparing frame for powder coating

azaro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Taking frame and forks to triple s for powder coating soon. I know they blank off all holes etc, but what do I need to do to prepare the frame before I take it in?
Obviously I'll remove all the decals and rub down the odd patches of surface rust. Do I apply Kurust to the patches or do they do it?

Do I Waxoyl it? Degrease it?
If so which bits? All of it? Inside frame/outside?

I know it sounds like I'm maybe being OTT but I want this Kona to be the dog's danglies and want to make sure I get everything spot on.

Would appreciate any advice/experiences.

One coater told me I had no need to remove the paint as he would strip it before a media blast.
When I asked how he was going to remove it he said "Drop it in my acid tank" :shock:
I didn't think given the amount of holes in a bike frame that it was such a good idea, corroding internally and all that. I totally stripped it back by hand before I took it for coating.
Stress to them how thin the tubes are, some are used to industrial items and tend to throw stuff around. Make sure they know what to mask/blank if they don't know much about bikes, headset cups' bottom bracket threads, inside seat tube etc.
Don't put any waxoil anyware, it will run out when frame is being baked and conaminate the finish.
Also make sure they know for definate your colour choice.
I asked one Donkey for Lambo orange, he rang me and said "your frame is ready. Your going to like it, it looks great in mettalic maroon." :shock:
I would name and shame but they're not in your area.
Said he couldn't tell the colour when in powder form.

Stripped by hand again. :evil:

Good Luck!!!

A coupe of notes / recommendations from me :

• No need to fully strip paint, a good coater will do this for you (and will want to do it as the quality of the finished article is dependent on good prep) a coater who asks you to do your own stripping would raise alarm bells for me ...

• Just prep the frame areas you are concerned about / want to investigate - rust, potential areas where they are known for cracking etc.

• Take the opportunity to 'dress' any untidy welds / remove any unwanted frame bosses / fill any dings etc - you will only regret it later if you don't fix these kind of bits beforehand.

• Smooth over all sharp edges - the coating will flow better / look better / be more robust if you do this.

• Make sure they know what you want masking off.

• Fully degrease (and do not waxoyl) it beforehand.

Others may disagree or add more comments but from my experiences, I think the above is a good starting point :D

WD :D

I have had 4 bikes in the last year done by the same guy here in Plymouth http://slpowdercoatings.co.uk/ he told me no need to strip it.. if you can put an old bottom bracket in and tape and bolt the brake bosses to protect all threads..he sand blasts.

Ernie ;)

When I used Triple S I just turned up with the frame as it was mate. Didn't do anything to it.

WD's advice is good if you want to make it better then new ;)

WD - would all these apply to an Alu frame also?

I have one that's just ano'd, and assume they will media blast, but being retro Alu I don't particularly want it made any weaker... :oops:

I prepared my (painted) proflex in the same way but never got to the point of sending it for powder coat :oops: there are some pics of how I softened edges etc on it's build thread (same for the steel Marin).

I am not so sure how ano would affect any of the stripping processes though, especially the keying required for the powder :? I think i might be tempted to chemically strip it before going down the powder coat route ?

I wouldn't worry about blasting - if (big if) it's done carefully / correctly ...

There are blasting processes that will remove paint off wood and fibreglass without damaging the base material so I wouldn't worry about putting ally through the same process :D

I suppose the best advice would be to speak to your coater, find what they do, go and have a look at the type of stuff they are dealing with on a daily basis :D

WD :D

Back