Post your dream wheelsetup!

On my Manitou HT I have :-
M950 XTR hubs 32h.
Mavic rims (217tib rear, 230tib front).
DT comp silver spokes (1 cross front, 2cross(non drive side)3 cross (drive side)rear).
Alloy nipples on the front (alternating black and gold), alloy (gold)on non drive side, prolock (black) drive side rear.
Jantex rim tapes.
Air-B tubes.
IRC Geo Claw Lite tyres.
It has Pace RC30 rigid forks and I weigh 14 stone. Don't have ANY problems with strength. Whole bike weighs around the 20/1lb mark.

Seeing as I have my bike more or less how I want it now, my next three projects are SPD's,(never tried them BITD), front suspension fork,(again never tried it BITD) and then Wheels,(I never built them before, so need to give it a go).

But of wheels, nothing flash, but bombproof but light rims I have yet to decide which type, but quite definately of 90's vintage, Serviceable bombproof hubs anodised red, ideally something with sealed cartridge bearings or if not something with external grease ports like my old XT hubs, great for forcing out trail filth and water. Spokes, well stainless steel db spokes like I had in the past. Nipples, well reinforced eyelets on the rim for a start, am tempted by red aluminium nipples, but hear most recommend brass, not decided yet, but basically a nineties wheel set up. Not because I am going for period, but what I had in the past I was well pleased with, I have no experience of modern set ups, so can't see the point for my style of ATB use.

What I had in the past was XT external grease ported hubbs, stainless db spokes and Ritchey Vantage Pro V- section rims, they came with the bike as standard along with kevlar beaded megabite tyres, they lasted for the fourteen years I had the set before the rear rim exploded and I lost the bike to the ex a year later.

KillerTurtle":43bgnc7r said:
I can buy the kings for a good price. How difficult is to build your own wheels?

Can someone (me...) do this himself?

It's not difficult but it's one of those things that if you know what you're doing it's easy. I'd get a good wheel builder to do them for you unless you do a class on how to build them. If you don't know what you're doing you could damage the rim by over-tightening the spokes. Not something you want to do on some new rims.

The best thing is to practice truing wheels first. Once you get the hang of it then you can go on to build a wheel. Be prepared to be very patient though. My first wheel took about 2-3 hours to build as I had to keep checking it against another one. Now it only takes me about 30-40 mins to do one. Most of that time is spent on tensioning the spokes though - lacing it only takes about 10 mins or so.

Anyway here's my wheels (not built by me but they really need some new spokes).

Attachments

• Polarwheels.jpg
    Polarwheels.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 581
have just picked up the rear of my new set of wheels (have a ritchey front hub, but i'm holding out for a matching one to the rear or 1 that'll take a disc, just incase) plus due to the weak £ dt spokes are 80p each!!!!
anyway, bonty freehub (year unknown, tenner of evil bay) nos matrix mt titan rim with dt evo spokes, apparently these were 80p before the price rise.
maybe not dream wheels but def retro

Campag Alfa XL 36H rims - 370g each

Suntour XC pro F hub

Shimano M732 XT R Hub

DT Revolution spokes

DT Alloy nips

Bonty XXX lite tubes [80g..ok, I cheated, not retro]

Ritchey Z Max WCS 1.7 Tyres [400g]

Lightest wheelset I have... except Mavic Crossmax SLR 2007

Ride and smile,

Chaser.

Back