Poor Attempts Of Repair

Just spotted this ‘V-Canti’ on eBay!
View attachment 880785

And that knot in the cable is for modulation - reduce the risk of brake snatch🤣.

This got to go in my Innovations thread

Is he using v- lever cable pull or canti?

How to turn vbrake into cantis, if you screw your eyes up, could be mistaken for posh Paul cantis.
Should have put a knot in each side of straddle cable for ideal balance of course :)

And that knot in the cable is for modulation - reduce the risk of brake snatch🤣.

This got to go in my Innovations thread

Is he using v- lever cable pull or canti?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Similar to the brake on this Cannondale SM700 I got recently. I learnt a long time ago on Marketplace when the seller goes out of their way to emphasise its ready to ride those generally are in the poorest state of repair. Not a problem for me I can sort it out but from what I could see the seller sells a lot of bikes. Who knows what people are riding around on.

20240901_151524.jpg

I've just remembered, I spotted a bike once and it's grips had been stuck on with expanding foam!

My most recent purchase on FB Marketplace was my 1992 GT Pantera AL and when I went to check it over and clean after purchase, I found that the forks were fitted without the crown race, but had two sets of caged bearings instead. Thankfully I found a spare crown race to fit, cleaned up the headset and all was good in the end. It's a bit annoying and disappointing when you find these problems, but for someone who's not got the skills or tools to solve these problems it can be quite dangerous to buy bikes on FB Marketplace.

We call these "have-a-go hero" mechanics.
I think a reason for the rise in torx fasteners (and custom fasteners in modern cars) is to try to discourage the clueless.

I've seen a bike serviced by a council-funded Doctor Bike session where gear inner was fitted for the brakes (road sti)
I guess they only had mtb brake inner otherwise🤯

Time to hold my hands up here 👐

When I was very young (maybe around 10/11) I was fixing the brakes on my BMX desperate to go on a ride later that day and one of the outers was beyond repair. After a short time spent with my finger on my lips looking up into the sky trying to think of a solution, I had a sudden lightbulb moment that actually worked temporarily. My mum wasn't too happy though when she noticed the net curtains were no longer being held up by the white cable wire :LOL:

Back