pine mountain

paramotor

Retro Newbie
Had this baby from new about 1993 I think. So long ago. having the frame powder coated next week. I had to replace the stem but since then the bike feels ever so twitchy.

Bit of a daft question but why are so many people into restoring their 20 year old bike instead of going and buying a new one apart from the cost.

Are there any riders in the Norfolk area?

paramotor

Attachments

• pine mountain.jpg
    pine mountain.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 968
Not many people ride retro bikes. Walking round norwich yesterday I must of seen 150 bikes, only one I'd say was 'retro' and that was a Marin Bobcat.
Is the length of your new stem the same as the old?

are there lots or just lots on here (sure someone could elaborate on self-selection bias or some type of scientific explanation to this point) ?

men in sheds and similar to old cars ? how many people on here also have classic cars that they work on ?

how many people on here vs gossiping about nonsense on "social media" sites ?

Bit of a daft question but why are so many people into restoring their 20 year old bike instead of going and buying a new one apart from the cost

Just look at the picture of your own bike. You shouldnt need to ask really! ;)

think your pine is more `95 and the retro thing has a lot to do with recapturing youth and for me collecting bikes I admired back then ( I also collect old boxed Corgi cars ) By degree we are all a bit OCD I think but the social side of riding the machinery and meeting up is a great pull as well as the tinkering away in a shed aspect.

Your ride though....the twitchiness is either too short a stem or too small a bike...as a general rule when in the riding position you should be able to look down and see the front wheel axle about 1.5 - 2" behind the handle bars.

Unfortunately if you powdercoat a nickel plated frame like yours it may as well be a modern bike as it will loose its retro nature..new chainset too I see...just my thoughts hope the tech bit is helpful :D

marin

i dont see any great need to get that powder coated, and love the old marins .i biked to 18 miles to work on one for 2 years. until i was given a new cannondale by the local bike shop i raced for :D

just see you are in norfolk, my folks live between swaffam and kings lynn,i would happly meet up next when i am down there :D

I guess there is a fair chance that if it was okay before and the only thing that's changed is the stem then..it's probably the stem

is it the right size? as I can't tell by the pic if it is a genuine marin stem

where abouts are you norfolk wise?

thanks for the reply guys. The reason I thought about powder coating my frame is because near the BB underneath i have a fair bit of rust stone chips. the old girl is looking a bit scabby now. it not powder maybe wet paint her or would powder coat as undercoat then top coat with conventional paint.

any input welcome

paramotor

nickel

you could get it re-nickled , i have seen a thread on here about it somewhere i seem to remember it costing about £ 85 -90 . which is about the same price as a wet spray

thats if i remember correct :oops:

Latest posts

Back