1992 Rocky Mountain Cirrus

if you're after some replacement decals, i still have some in black and i believe red for this left over from making and printing repros for my Experience and backups for my Cirrus. ;)

if you're after some replacement decals, i still have some in black and i believe red for this left over from making and printing repros for my Experience and backups for my Cirrus. ;)
Thanks for the kind offer but I ordered a set from Gil last week.

Nice project. I'm with @Retro_Roy - I like the patina of the discoloured lacquer and original decals, however I fully appreciate it's not for everyone and no doubt with a fresh new respray I'll be eating my own words as I say it looks amazing! 😜 🤣

Good luck with the stripping!
Like Zonoskar mentionned, it's not patina, it's just clear coat chipping away. It looks neglected more than anything else.

Last edited:
Franx, love the bike. Not sure where you are located, but I can tell you where your bike was originally sold, that's a Kuntsadt shop sticker. They're an Ottawa institution, family run business that had a few stores, the business is still going strong.

Ha, keen eye Matti! I did in fact buy it from a guy that lives in Ottawa. Made the drive a couple of weeks ago from Sherbrooke( Qc). Can't say if the bike was originally sold from Kuntsadt, but I remember he mentionned that this was the shop that maintained it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind offer but I ordered a set from Gil last week.
nothing wrong with ones from Gil and many have been very happy customers. but personally wanted repros that closely matched the originals as much as possible so i invested the extra time/money and had them silk screened on clear vinyl and die cut. ;)

I'd be interested in your left-over decals, as I'm going to refinish my frame. Drop me a PM, I'm on the island.
send me a PM. ;)

here's more…

Finished cleaning up the fork. Liberal amount of acetone required.
Waiting for a fresh set bumpers from Fguki.
fork.jpg

With @franx's bike, the paint is really yellowed, so it's a good idea to remove it. But it's really hard to replicate the standard Cirrus finish as it was raw aluminum (including tooling marks) covered with clearcoat. Anything you do to remove the paint will mess with the raw aluminum, except if you can get hold of an industrial paint stripper (or have lots of patience). Once you start sanding, you'll never get the same finish again, it will look too uniform in the end :) I was lucky that the paint on mine wasn't yellowed, it was just a bit worn, so I left it alone.

BTW: I don't have the Spinergy wheels in it anymore, but still have the red P-bone forks.
So I was fortunate enough (pure coincidence!) to put my hands on what seemed to be a frameset version (https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/94-erm-92-well-93-rocky-mountain-cirrus-rebuild.390738/): white and black decals and no clearcoat at all, so no peeling :)

Last edited:
Back