People that turn their bike up sidedown to fix things.

Acceptable?

• Yes. What's the problem?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. It's unforgivable.

• People can do what they like to their own bikes.

• Total voters
I'm guessing some of the posters here would probably be in hysterics if they fell off and scratched something. My bikes have always gone upside down to be fixed, but with a small degree of common sense not to do it on something wildly abrasive. I do understand people having hideously expensive kit and not wanting to damage it, and for that reason I don't spend silly money on my bikes. If you're an XC-ist and grind out tens of thousands of miles without throwing yourself down a dodgy looking trail or off a squiffy looking jump for a laugh, then your bike probably looks box fresh after a quick hose down and re-lube.

I however know before even setting out that there is a good chance I am going to damage it. Working from this standpoint, I'm never gutted when I bend something - and the list is reasonably long, the last being bending a titanium flite on a me/ground gravity related unplanned rendez-vous.

I am often guilty of running out of talent, which results in me and my bike cartwheeling off down the descent in question. This will impart far more scratches than those incurred when trying to put it back together and it being balanced on the saddle and grips.

A footnote before the inevitably flaming for herecy.

The most damage to my current flite's surface was not from a lifetime of being put upside down, but from an arse covered in gravelly mud on a gloopy 20 miler and the sandpapering that it caused. But then, I suppose if logic prevails, I should have had on a mudguard... ;)

markoc":rqd5r7wg said:
I'm guessing some of the posters here would probably be in hysterics if they fell off and scratched something. My bikes have always gone upside down to be fixed, but with a small degree of common sense not to do it on something wildly abrasive. I do understand people having hideously expensive kit and not wanting to damage it, and for that reason I don't spend silly money on my bikes. If you're an XC-ist and grind out tens of thousands of miles without throwing yourself down a dodgy looking trail or off a squiffy looking jump for a laugh, then your bike probably looks box fresh after a quick hose down and re-lube.

I however know before even setting out that there is a good chance I am going to damage it. Working from this standpoint, I'm never gutted when I bend something - and the list is reasonably long, the last being bending a titanium flite on a me/ground gravity related unplanned rendez-vous.

I am often guilty of running out of talent, which results in me and my bike cartwheeling off down the descent in question. This will impart far more scratches than those incurred when trying to put it back together and it being balanced on the saddle and grips.

The most damage to my current flite's surface was not from a lifetime of being put upside down, but from an arse covered in gravelly mud on a gloopy 20 miler and the sandpapering that it caused. But then, I suppose if logic prevails, I should have had on a mudguard... ;)

Fall off and damage something, its a badge of honour, a scar to be worn with pride and spoken about down the pub.

Damage something whilst youre doing maintenance... you're an idiot.

There is a sheet of ply in the shed for all upside down operations.
Its my bike and if i don't scratch it this way i'll scratch it, dent it, break it next time i ride it downhill at a rapid rate anyway :cool:

Russell":105chlpd said:
markoc":105chlpd said:

Fall off and damage something, its a badge of honour, a scar to be worn with pride and spoken about down the pub.

Damage something whilst youre doing maintenance... you're an idiot.

I guess I just don't count superficial scratches as damage, when I can just as easily do worse without trying.
;)

i could start another topic here about turning you bike upside down can affect the performance of suspension forks (oil and air ones!!!!)

Apart from working on something underneath the bike!? why would you need to turn it upside down?? In my 25 years of riding not including BMX days! i have probably done it less than 5 times, and that reason is stated above.

bojangle":qf6uaxo3 said:
i could start another topic here about turning you bike upside down can affect the performance of suspension forks (oil and air ones!!!!)

oddly I've seen recommendations to actually turn them upside down so the seals/bushings, stanchions are protected by the lubricating oil rather than drying out. Probably Marzocchi air/oil forks and spring/oil forks.
I cannot see what the problem would be, well with any of the forks I've used. The forks seals go through a much greater pressure trying to prise the oil through.betwee while under compression than any gravity and none moving parts could attempt.

If you're on about air moving into a different compartment, say with early Mag 21's then you might be right, though i'm not sure the air actually gets past the seal between them unless you pump them to remove the 'lock', but 20 years using mine says it doesn't matter how they are stored :)

I think there's a big difference between damaging something in an accident and damaging something intentionally.

I don't wash my car with a brillo pad even if it will clean it easier/faster than a wash mit.

FluffyChicken":3t7gsvfj said:
bojangle":3t7gsvfj said:
oddly I've seen recommendations to actually turn them upside down so the seals/bushings, stanchions are protected by the lubricating oil rather than drying out. Probably Marzocchi air/oil forks and spring/oil forks.
Fox and Rockshox recommend turning their (modern) forks (oil & air) upside down to lubricate the foam wiper seals, which stops the wiper seals from drying out and losing their performance. Gotta keep them seals lubricated!

Back