Painting Frame

you will need to either get it shot blasted or rub it down yourself. then primer your frame with 2 or 3 coats then flat it with a 1500 fine wet and dry sand paper. now choose your colour for top coat,put this on with fine coats and let it dry in between coats.when you have finished this give it maybe 72 hours or longer for the paint to harden properley. its a good idea to try and save a little paint in case you chip or scratch it.its up to you then if your use a clear laquer to give it a good shiny finish

The right paint and the right brush and it flows out like glass.

I flat primer, before topcoating, with 320 or 400 dry paper, I would
have used 600 or 800 wetndry.

I was looking into industrial paints yesterday, the kind of suff that gets used on dumper truck trailers and so on. Came across Besa's Urki-system, which, coincidentally, contains the paint we use at work for painting chairlift and draglift pylons (Urki-Nox). Very tough stuff (you can hit it with hammers), and goes straight onto steel with no primer.

In that system is their recommended paint for bicycle frames, Urki-dur. This is an oven-drying synthetic enamel, and several times harder than any automotive tocoat will ever be. Primer, topcoat, "that's handy, Harry, stick it in the oven".

I don't have an oven. Well, not one that will take a hardtail bike frame for 20 minutes at 150°C, anyway.

I could "borrow" some paint from work, but riding around with a chairlift-coloured bike would be a giveaway. But I found somewhere that sells it preconditioned in aerosol form (google URNOXSPR), so I have a can of RAL 6018 on its way to me right now. We'll see how that goes.

yes brush.... mechanic I know from town brushed on his clear finish and looked great! just was curious as to what you guys had in mind. thanks for the help! will be starting the project this weekend

Brush painting's fine, but it's gonna take a lot longer. A couple of weeks, at least, if you don't have an oven. Lots of waiting when you brush paint.

Re:

I brush painted a frame and it came out pretty well, but it was a lot of work to rub down the frame and a lot of waiting, about a week, with the frame on a radiator, between each of the 3 coats.

Powder coating gives nice results and a very durable finish, I paid £40 for a frame and forks at LSN coatings: http://www.lsn-coatings.co.uk/, although they're not local to me so it cost another £30.00 to send there and back.

Latest posts

Back