Painting a couple of frames

BiketoBasics

Dirt Disciple
Due to the number of steel frames failed within the last decade, I like to try and keep spares if possible. Otherwise, I have no way to get around.

I have "in stock" a Maruishi MountAce and a Diamondback Ascent (or Apex, which is the lesser model of the two) both in a size 23".

They do need paint before being suitable for rebuilding. The trouble is, is sometimes it's more economical to buy a whole bicycle in the size you need (in very good condition) than it is to paint up frames in poorer condition.

Powder coating is the way to go for durability undoubtedly. BUT, what if one spends $$$ on said powdercoating only to have that frame fail too!? Bit of a bummer of a dilemma.

I'd like to use the Diamondback with a big front rack and a trailer. The stays are short on that frame a trailer would work nicely. Plus, it looks like that frame can fit nice plump tires with fenders too. The maruishi I am less stoked about. It's just a standby frame in case the go-to Kuwahara I use croaks or gets stolen. As shown, the frame steel is exposed and would get eaten alive in a Canadian winter. The Diamondback doesn't have original paint and was obtained from the local bike coop. It looks like someone used appliance paint on it.

Attachments

• DSC00672.jpg
    DSC00672.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 16
  • image_2024-09-04_210153996.png
    image_2024-09-04_210153996.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
  • image_2024-09-04_210548481.png
    image_2024-09-04_210548481.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
What are you going to your frames! I've got to say I've never had one break on me...

As for painting....on lower end, your probably right, especially given the market, that buying one in good condition is cheaper than even thinking about a respray.

You will have your work cut out with a rattle can job, to get rid of every scrap of rust..or it will just come through again.

Powder and blasting first, will resolve that, especially if a good powdercoating guy uses an anti rust primer base coat....

Agree, good powder coating is steets ahead of a poor job or a bad paint job.
Try searching outside of the usual cycle painters & the like. Stove enamellers perhaps. Also if you can find a way to blast the frame yourself prior to handing it to a painter.coater you will likely save a few quid. I can save £40 off the price of powder coating if I get it done myself. (they out source media blasting)

My local is £100+vat. They are not cheap, but they are capable of awesome finishes. Cheaper places I don't know, probably 60ish, but they like doing farm gates & the like.

Am currently in the process of painting a frame and fork, am not trying to put you off painting your own, however once you factor in the cost of Wet n' Dry, 70% Isopropyl Alcohol, Primmer, Base Coat, either 2K or Cellulose Lacquer for the project its adds up way more than a professional Powder Coat.

You would also need the right conditions to paint it, (ie) dust proof area that is heated or you will just end up frustrated, it is also very time consuming.

I would get someone to powder coat it. (the only reason am painting mine myself, I am trying to keep the original decals, otherwise it would have been off to a powder coater)

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the input on an approach. I think before taking the plunge on a powder job I might contact one of the technical schools here. The high school kids "might" want to try painting a bike frame as practice, with the blessing of their instructor of course. I don't mind a mildly substandard job just so long as it is presentable.

Thanks to all for the input on an approach. I think before taking the plunge on a powder job I might contact one of the technical schools here. The high school kids "might" want to try painting a bike frame as practice, with the blessing of their instructor of course. I don't mind a mildly substandard job just so long as it is presentable.
@BiketoBasics great idea, let us all know how you get on please would be interesting to see.

As @fguki says, powder way cheaper.

My guy and girls use a 3 coat system...( they blast first with appropriate media) then anti rust primer, polyester powder, followed by clear powder over. They do all the taping up and bunging up too.

Cost is between £60 and £100 ex vat for basic ral colours depending on topcoat ( flat, gloss, sparkle) etc.

Also, remember not all powder is the same, there are different types and its come on a loooong way from the bloke down the road doing gates !

You can pay more, i did a fade with prismatic illusion, colour changing metalic powder and clear top. Expensive powder and long process, but still only £140.

Back