Packing a frame for postage. Advice please.

mikesnowdon

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all.

Just getting ready to send my frame up the Shand cycles in sunny Scotland for a bit of TLC and disk brake modification. Any tips on how to pack it up well?

Also while Im at it what's the cheapest option for postage? Its going from Sussex all the way up the Scotland and back.

Cheers.

- Mike.

I always get a bike box from LBS even if its just sending a frame.

Interparcel £8.99 + vat

senditnow.com for postage £11.99inc vat for 24hr delivery

Edit: this is how I'd pack a bike, not just a frame (should learn to read properly!)

From LBS: bike box & fork spacer
lots of bubble wrap, gaffer tape, zip ties, jiffy bag & some cardboard

remove front wheel, bars & pedals bubble wrap the entire bike, making sure bits like the rear mech are well protected, put fork spacer between the drop outs of the fork & secure it with zip ties

stick pedals in a jiffy bag, zip tie the bubble wrapped (or jiffy bagged) bars to the frame

Let the air out of the tyres, stick bike in box, place cardboard either side of the front wheel & stick that in the box down the side of the frame along with the jiffy bag with the pedals in

plenty of gaffer tape to secure the bike box, job done.

nice.

I was thinking of using some wood dowelling to make a spacer for the dropouts. Screws through the dropouts to hold it tight so the rear end dosent get bent by heavy handed mail workers.

Good idea on the box, I'll grab one from the LBS next week.

if you run discs dont forget to shove something in the caliper incase the lever gets squeezed when then front wheel is off. I generally remove the rear derailleur from the frame to prevent the hanger from getting bent, and will zip tie the chain to the chainstay (protected by bubble wrap,) and around the outer chainring to protect the teeth. ill then enclose the derailleur in bubble wrap and zip tie it to the frame inside the rear triangle. also dont forget to put a block or something between the fork drop outs to protect the fork.

Thanks but Im only sending the frame. Its going off to have a disk mount brazed on and some dents repaired.

DSC03530.jpg

WD :D

Back