Pace RC36's

baznap

Devout Dirtbag
Hi,
Im looking at a pair of PACE RC 36 on Ebay which have a 1 inch steerer, i need them to fit my 1997 Merlin so can i just buy a new 1 1/8th steerer from pace to bolt straight in or are they any other mods i need to do to them?

alternatively is there a headset reducer that would work to maintain the current steerer?

Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Barry

Its the crown you need to check. If it is a 1" crown then you will not be able to fit a 1 1/8" steerer into it, if it is a 1 1/8" crown then the 1" steerer will have a shim so you can remove that and fit a different steerer.

If youi post a link or pic we will be able to tell you what crown it is :)

Mark

When I was looking for some (went Judy SL in the end) I found quite a few pairs in 1", however I couldn't find any crowns/steerers in A-head form that were 1 1/8", hence the reason for the Judys.

tonybrown5":26ihhpb1 said:
When I was looking for some (went Judy SL in the end) I found quite a few pairs in 1", however I couldn't find any crowns/steerers in A-head form that were 1 1/8", hence the reason for the Judys.

The Judy's will be 2nd option for me if i cannot find a set of RC36's Prices are so varied in the 2nd hand market it's just a good timing to get a deal for what you want!

Barry

I agree. I missed out on a couple of pairs by minutes as they were snapped up so quick. As mentioned the 1" sets were priced OK but in the very rare event I found an 1 1/8 steerer/crown the seller often wanted more than I could get a full fork for. Just made them too expensive, especially as often the forks also required new elastomers.

My pace rc36 mxcd came with a 1" steerer tube and a reducing shim. The 1 1/8" Version also has a shim, that is thiner. Up until now I was under the impression that pace made those crowns all the same und just swapped the steerer plus the shim. You can still buy those at pace.

Thias":170pp6ui said:
My pace rc36 mxcd came with a 1" steerer tube and a reducing shim. The 1 1/8" Version also has a shim, that is thiner. Up until now I was under the impression that pace made those crowns all the same und just swapped the steerer plus the shim. You can still buy those at pace.

Thats great info thanks for your advise, will look into that. Thank you

Barry

Re:

The 'RC36' pictured in your eBay link is actually a 1996 RC35 MXCD and not a '36 at all.

The RC35 MXCD was an elastomer sprung fork and had an optional oil filled damper, the crown had a 1 1/4" steerer socket and required shims to fit either a 1" or 1 1/8" steerer.

The first RC36 was released in 1997, followed by the 1998 RC36 Evo. Both were coil sprung and were factory fitted with an oil filled damper. Both had crowns with 1 1/8" steerer sockets and required a shim to fit a 1" steerer, the option of a 1 1/4" was discarded.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Tim :D

Back