Wanted Original bike (90-95 era)/mostly original with period upgrades, rigid frame including rigid forks. Budget ~£80-120

This is a refinement on my previous request simply for a rigid framed bike.

A couple of bikes turned up of really nice builds with contemporary parts and while I found them great jobs overall there would be one or two things they would have changed which I would have preferred original like, adding riser bars or no thumb shifters.

I think this will be the case with most modern takes on classics as each builder will have their own view of what they find acceptable to swap for new.

As such I am thinking it is better to start with a tabula rasa with largely original parts working bike from the period and add only what I want.

I would like the frame and forks to be original. Don't mind mixing and matching with groupset so long as of the general period. I will likely be changing the crankset/back sprockets anyhow. Would really like thumbies to come with as they are my favourites and seem fairly pricey for what they are if bought separately. From looking at other bikes here early 90s up to about 95 seems a sweet spot for bikes that I like where after that things start to get more 'modern' looking.

Raleigh Massif, thumbshifters, mostly original, other than the wheels, tyres and the seat it's 100% factory spec Screenshot_20240901-202036_Gallery.jpg

Raleigh Massif, thumbshifters, mostly original, other than the wheels, tyres and the seat it's 100% factory spec
Hi,

I thought I recognized the graffiti background from a gumtree ad but seems a coincidence and different bike/graffiti? https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/...mountain-bike-hybrid-city-commuter/1485582765

Looks good of the one picture.

What year?

What size?

Upgrades are contemporary or of period?

Other specs, namely drivetrain freewheel or freehub? How many teeth front and back of low gear? Total gears?

Price?

Posting ok?

Thanks.

EDIT: Hmm reading up a bit more seems this one is a bit of a BSO type of bike when new is that right? I know they made good raleighs and bad raleighs and this seems of the budget camp. I am wanting a none BSO retro as I already have a BSO I ride right now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back