Orange Vitamin T strip and build

I can't comment on seatpost issues specifically for the Vitamin T, but I do know stated seatpost sizes can vary from the actual size!

My old Vit-T was fitted with a USE with a shim.

Cheers

I can't comment on seatpost issues specifically for the Vitamin T, but I do know stated seatpost sizes can vary from the actual size!

My old Vit-T was fitted with a USE with a shim.

Cheers
Yeah, I have 4 different 26.8mm posts - two ControlTechs and the Thomson and Orange and I have 3 different diameter measurements for them, the two CTs being almost the same as each other.

The cheap new Kalloy is the closest to its stated size - 27.02mm and after I greased it and moved it around a bit it's already feeling better so I think that's the direction I'll head in.

Hi there.
Nice project. I have a 27.0 Lite Stik branded Kalloy from a ‘93 Orange Prestige.
I was going to use it on my ‘92 Prestige but still have the XC Pro I switched to early on (same slipping issues from new!). So it could be spare.
There is some scoring up the rear but not massively noticeable.
Feel free to make an offer or drop me a pm for pictures.

Had a spare couple of hours to put a few parts on.

The 27.0mm Lite Stik seatpost from Mat cleaned up nicely with 1200/2000/5000 wet and dry. Only the deeper scoring in the back remains. Sadly it may be a little too short as it's just above the minimum insertion line. The original same-length 26.8mm Lite Stik has a different head design and has a slightly different minimum insertion position, which was maxed out for me. I have a longer post on the way and I'll probably end up using that one.

The 27.0mm Orange post fits perfectly and I'm beginning to think that fitting my bike from new with a 26.8 post was a mistake at the factory. Sounds unlikely I know, but the 27.0 Lite Stik is a perfect fit.

Saddle is the original titanium railed one. There's a steering wheel restoration kit on the way and the edges need gluing down, so it's only in place for the photo. The cover is in decent condition but the edges are a little dried out and discoloured.

Bit of a lull in the build now as there are a couple of parts to source and refinish.

DSCF2445.jpg

Speaking of which, a question for you or any other Vit-T expert. Mine came with an Orange Lite Stik-branded Kalloy seatpost, 26.8mm. But it was always a loose fit. At first I made a shim from a cut up Coke can, which was partially successful and by renewing the shim every few months the post stayed on the bike for a few years. Then I tried a 26.8mm Thomson post from one of my other bikes and it was a better fit so it was used instead. But it still wasn't as snug as it should have been, and it's from a later period than the Orange and would look a little out of place on this build.

So last week I ordered cheap 27.0mm Kalloy post from ebay, which arrived today and it fits! Very snuggly, but it fits.

So before I find a nice 27.0mm post (not easy) and, through gritted teeth, sand it lightly to give a fit I'm happy with, have you or anyone else here had the same problem with a Vit-T?
Mine also came with a USE with a plastic shim collar.
It's possible that the internal diameters of the seat tube were a bit varied, so the plastic collar could take up the play quite easily.
So perhaps this was the factory solution to a manufacturing issue.

We all know what happens to
a: titanium frames
b: seat clusters with undersized posts
c: seat clusters with a short post
Not a good combo😬

Mine also came with a USE with a plastic shim collar.
It's possible that the internal diameters of the seat tube were a bit varied, so the plastic collar could take up the play quite easily.
So perhaps this was the factory solution to a manufacturing issue.

We all know what happens to
a: titanium frames
b: seat clusters with undersized posts
c: seat clusters with a short post
Not a good combo😬
The longer seatpost mentioned above arrived and it went in nicely...until it didn't. It looks like the seat tube was only reamed to a depth to accept the OE 350mm post, which is understandable. The 400mm post won't go in far enough for me to use, so I have two choices:
-- Cut the 400mm post to fit. Not something I like doing but I will if I have to.
-- Drop the 27mm Lite Stik down a few mm to the minimum insertion line, which won't be too bad as it is only a few mm. My concern is, will that be enough insertion to avoid the issue you mention?

I'm beginning to favour cutting the long post to give the maximum insertion possible as well as giving the correct seat height for me.

But this does reinforce my thought that the 26.8mm OE post was the wrong size as I now have three 27mm post that all fit very nicely.

I should get started on this bike again next week Finally had my knee surgery a couple of weeks ago and I should be a bit more mobile by then.

Cutting the long post to the perfect length loses you an inch of post you don't need.
But having a post close to the minimum insertion mark could cost you the frame. 😬

After a bit of a hiatus I finally got round to completing the build.

As mentioned earlier, from new it was specced with a full M560 LX groupset, but some of the parts got changed and the LX bits sold on to friends. The brakes were replaced by flashier (read expensive) ones, which I'm pretty sure were lost in a house move a few years ago :rolleyes:, so it now has 987s - light, effective and easy to set up, and also from the same period.

The black LX cranks went to look scruffy very quickly and were replaced by something also very flashy. But it's now wearing M730 XT items, kindly donated by my brother's British Eagle Boss that he abandoned 25 years ago. Not known for his mechanical sympathy they were in a bad way, but they've polished up nicely with only a few of the deeper scratches remaining.

The headset would never stay in adjustment and for the life of me I have no idea why I didn't change it years ago. This new one is a Tange cartridge bearing unit, but its stack height is a bit shorter and not wanting to cut the forks I've used 6mm of spacers, which isn't ideal but not the end of the world.

The Control Tech stem was fitted from new to give me a bit more room. Bars are Easton EA70s, which have been on for years but I can't remember when they were fitted. Seatpost is Orange, just not the original one, and the seatpost QR was removed in the early days when I was having issues with the original 26.8mm post. The cables are all new Shimano, the grips are ODI Attack repops and the chain is a new KMC piece. Tyres aren't period, but they are NOS and pretty light.

Depending on which bike I was using BITD I used to take the M737 pedals off my Trimble and put them on the Vit-T, but after a couple of years the Orange was treated to its own pedals the the M535s on the bike are those very pedals. They're a couple of years too new for a catalogue build, but this bike isn't that, and they have been on the bike for almost 30 years.

Everything else - brifters, both mechs, BB, wheels and seat - have been on the bike for 31 years.

It weighs 9.7kg / 21lb 6oz with pedals, which isn't too bad considering it's not really a "light" build.

DSC00138_50.jpg DSC00127_50.jpg DSC00136_50.jpg DSC00122_50.jpg DSC00129_50.jpg

Latest posts

Back